java fern babys

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
ive just seen some java fern babys floating around the big tank and i wont to put them in my edge.i dont wont to add any more wood or slate etc in my edge so wot would be the best way to add them to my edge,fixed not floating around?
would they grow if i just buried one end in the sand?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sucker caps and tie on or a small piece in the soil is also ok or place a small rock on the leaf ? cheers jk :thumbup:

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
sucker caps and tie on or a small piece in the soil is also ok or place a small rock on the leaf ? cheers jk :thumbup:
cool,might try it tomorrow.
i did think about useing some plant lead,wrap round the leave and stick the end in the sand.

Last edited:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I have used the suction cup on the side of a tank, & it works a treat..:D
Mostly I tie to a rock and drop the rock in , easy to move around too..
You don't wanna bury it in the sand..It needs to be in the water column to get it's nutrients from the water....

This one is Needle Leaf Java Fern

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I usually take them off with a bit of the parent leaf and then staple the old leaf onto some wood. You can also use superglue (cyanoacrylate) to attach them to slate pebbles etc, super-glue is plant/fish safe once it has set.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
the baby ferns are growing well in the edge,as are the 2 floating plants :woohoo:
trimed of all the roots thursday cos they were all over the tank,2 off them were around 12" long! and now there back,all over the tank and growing very well:

the roots were around 1" after i trimed them on thursday.