JUVI L14 very skinny!

simonas

Jan 18, 2011
Wirral
I bought a very young L14 in february and ive always atched it feed but its never looked like it was really making great progress. last night it just looked skinny and hollow
Its been getting potato, brine, flake and catfish pellets

what can I give it as a short term fix as I dont want to lose it

hinchles

Feb 13, 2012
UK
l14's are carnivores have you tried feeding it meaty foods bloodworm etc also i'm a big fan of the new era pellets they're high in protein without the mess made from other meaty foods

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
I think if you got this fish in Feb, it must be eating. A safe bet nowadays is to use Tetra Prima granules. They sink quickly to the bottom, its bright red, so helps for fussy eaters. In my case, I can see the the red poo's of the fish and there intestines, if it shows red, I know they are eating. If not, maybe a cause for investigation.

But personally, it must be eating, as you have had it over 2-3 months. Without sounding like an alarmist, maybe an internal parasite, but other symptons would of shown by now, I would of thought.

Try a change in diet and monitor again for a few days, if no joy, definately post back and see what others suggest.

simonas

Jan 18, 2011
Wirral
Ive moved it into a smaller tank with no other plecs and will go from there, got in from work before and it was gnawing away at massivore tablet. Mad thing is its been eating since ive had it as I watch it. If it is parasties how can I treat for that?

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Try some frozen krill. These guys go nuts for this food. If the fish is healthy the krill won't be ignored IMO.

Drop some apple snails in there and see if they get eaten. My little 14's destroy snails on a daily.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ive moved it into a smaller tank with no other plecs and will go from there, got in from work before and it was gnawing away at massivore tablet. Mad thing is its been eating since ive had it as I watch it. If it is parasties how can I treat for that?
You might be experiencing a case of not enough food. These guys eat three times as much as other plecs. IME they need to be fed at least twice a day for juvies. I had the same issue when I first bought mine. I thought they were sick but they just needed a lot more food.
When it comes to feeding time(s) mine are out first and are very aggressive towards the other fish.

Edit- if you want to treat for parasites try Prazipro.

Last edited:

simonas

Jan 18, 2011
Wirral
he hasnt made it. Im well cheesed off and cinfused as he did seem to be actively eating but clearly at the point I got concerned there was no going back. Weird as the L200 I bought at same time that I never see eat is full bellied

Had always wanted one of these as well , next time I 'll get a slightly bigger one

camelle

May 30, 2012
north carolina
Im so sorry about your fish I know how you feel. I tend to have the same problem with my ghostknives. I lost one just two days ago (which makes three down and only one to live). They were bought at the same time. One within days was eating from my hand the other ran way. 3 weeks later he was gone. So I feel your pain.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very sorry for your loss. If you have had him since FEB, I would suggest that it was more a parasitic disease than him not eating. Again sorry cheers jk :thumbup: