L002 eating their eggs and fry

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
Hi guys

Is this possible. I have had several spawns of these now and not many fry to show for it. Each spawn has around 20 eggs in it, iv'e had about 8 spawns of them, just last night there was 20 or so eggs in a cave now there are none to be seen any where.

Same with the fry, i had about another 20 wrigglers in a cave and i woke up the next morning to not even see a single 1 in there.

I know there not a carnivore fish but is it still possible for this to happen.

Cheers

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Stop looking---eggs are eaten for two reasons; infertility and stress. If you're sure it's not an infertility problem, just leave the fish alone for a while (once you see the female trapped, ideally). Wait three weeks and separate the fry. Once the yolk sacs are absorbed, they are usually safe from parental ingestion.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I agree with cup, if you have looked to know he has eggs it means you have either shined a torch or used a flash camera. (or have very shallow cave?) this is often enough to make them eat the eggs out of fear. make sure he has a good cave that is reasonably deep, preferably made of wood (then he does not have to come out and eat) as the more secure he feels the less he is likey to eat them.
Also have no tank mates that could upset him (eg other plecs that may try to get in the cave.)

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I have a group of L002,s one male 5 ladys

they spawn every week

I just let them get on with it and collect the fry every few weeks.

I have had to seperate the male due to him being totaly S****d out

Regards B

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I had a clutch the otherday, left them too it but no fry
after checking the eggs where gone.
I had left them since seeing the eggs, so now iv turned the cave completely around so i cant see in so when theres fry i know it worked i guess.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good idea rabbit, do you have any other plecs or catfish in the tank?
my LDA01 (which are almost the same - if not the same) were very funny with tank mates, it would either stop them breeding or make him eat the eggs.
they did not mind a couple of BNs, but anything else caused grief.
also try cool water when there is a storm or low pressure system.