L002 hatching times?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
The best thing to do is forget you have them atm.
Myself and another member have bothe had eggs in the last couple of weeks and after disturbing them the eggs have disapeared/ devoured.
Hatching time is as far as i know 12days there they will remain in the cave with dad for another week an a half.
Feed with plenty of algae discs crushed and placed close enough to the cave so they dont have to travell far to find it, protein will hope the growth so 10% of your feeding should consist of a carnivore pellet or simillar, they will chose to eat what they require.
HTH brengun

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
congrats! you dont need to feed till the young emerge.
please do not shine ligths into the cave.
is it a wooden cave? if it is I think the parents may provide some early feed by way of wood pulp etc so the young emerge a bit stronger.
depends on size of tank, number of fish mates and type of filtration etc but if the water pollutes or changes ph easily then do small , very gentle, same temp, water changes every couple of days to keep water in top condition.
good luck

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Thats alright then, 12 days. Been over a week and I was starting to worry he might have infertile eggs and done all that hard work for nothing.

Not so sure disturbing makes much difference. Had a male with a female in his cave twice. Checked only once to make sure the female had left and eggs were laid. Both times the male must have eaten them as I never saw anything kicked out at all.

The male sitting atm I don't think would allow anything to happen to his eggs in a pink fit. The caves are the round terracotta ones so quite tight and private for them. Only other fish apart from plecos are a few rainbows so nothing in the way of loaches or anything to upset them.

I triggered spawning while doing a regular wc. I noticed the canister wasn't working properly. Four weeks in a row that stupid canister has been playing up so I got to it and kept fiddling over a week till it sorted itself out properly.
All the new purigen and filtration increase must have set something off.

Oh, and every two days I set a piece of cucumber right near his cave so all he has to do is back out, have a quik nibble and back in.

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sometimes they eat eggs from disturbance and sometimes they will eat becasue they were infertile. If he is still fanning after several days then they were not infertile.
good luck - dont panic if oung take over 12 days to come out, it could take 15 or more.
development time varies with tank temp.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Eggies hatched yesterday. I only had a real quik check and saw an egg with a tail wriggling. The cave I noticed was tilted with the mouth downwards so I repositioned it so fry are less likely to fall out.

Currently making a fry saver to fit the cave. Its the middle tier tank and there isn't much height clearance to fit savers in under the top tank.

I should have had one made earlier but I didn't want to jinx my good fortune of a spawn. :)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
congrats! you can buy net fry savers quite cheaply which you can assemble in the tank if your entrance is small, but only use in an emergency -they young will be best left where they are.