L066, Please educate me.

sprinter

Feb 28, 2010
west midlands
Hello everyone, I recently bought a breeding group of 5 L066 and need a little help please. I understand they are a mix of wilds and F1's all bought from a reputable shop in the North West of England over a period of time. I think I may have sorted out the sexes but would be glad of confirmation. What confuses me is that 2 of the fish obviously have a brown/yellow colouration as opposed to the black/white of the other 3. So are they L066 at all? I have read that they can have different colour variations, is that correct? They came with a few juvies from previous spawns and they also show the 2 colour variations (last 2 pics). I have included a couple of tail pics of the brown/yellows as I have been told this is a good indicating feature. I Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks very much.

Attachments

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes, look good. some are clear males -look at all the hair and pect fins. one or two might be female, need fattening up a bit maybe.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Yes L066 are not all pure black and white, there is a rarer yellow variety which if you get one really pigmented looks an amazing fish.
I imagine its an adaptation to living in the wild where you won't be eaten as fast if you look a little yellowish.

sprinter

Feb 28, 2010
west midlands
Many thanks for your replies, things look good then :)
Can someone have a go at sexing them please? I think I may have them sorted but confirmation would be nice.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
top five pics all look male to me.... no definite female features amoung any of them... but as stated they need fattening up thats for sure.... head shape points to all being male... backed up by some hairy front flippers!... and all V shaped bodies... definitely no "U" shaped bodies there....

sprinter

Feb 28, 2010
west midlands
Well it seems fish 3 is female! They came into my possession last Tuesday and Friday I found fish 3 trapped in a cave by either fish 1 or 2, he's now busy tending a bunch of eggs! :D

sprinter

Feb 28, 2010
west midlands
Hi all, just a quick update, the 3rd spawn since i've had them (Feb) have just left dads cave, so looking good there.

A question though, someone has just paid me a visit who thinks they may not all be L66! Anyone think the same?