L134 babies.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
They've spawned again! Different dad this time, so I don't know if it's a different mum or not.
Anyway. I've kept up small daily waterchanges since th last spawn when the other dad ate all the eggs. Then I left them for a week without waterchanges, then done a 1/2 tank cool waterchange using airline hose to syphon the water back in over a good few hours so I didn't stress the fish too much. After this, I went back to the daily waterchanges and 9 days later (today) I got the torch out to make sure everyone was alright. I didn't think I'd see a male in his cave with eggs though. My first thoughts were "well that'll be those eggs eaten as well then" but I set the camcorder up and seen one wriggler that must've managed to slip under dad and come out of the cave. I've had another look with the torch and a good few of the eggs have hatched and the little guy in the pic is cruising the tank in the current. Not sure if I should put him in a fry trap or not though. Any suggestions? I don't really want to disturb the tank at the mo.

PS. Sorry for the crap pic, but windows paint isn't playing the game. Must get Photoshop back on here.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
:wb::wb::wb: I must've stressed the male. No eggs left. Damn! I only wanted to check that my Plecs were ok by using a torch to make sure none had any damage from fighting etc. I didn't expect to see eggs.
When I found out he'd eaten them, I stripped the tank to look for the one that escaped, but that one's gone as well. Must've burst the yolksac on a piece of slate. Gutted, but hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky, as I've got 1 step further this time with a single wriggler. And the torch is definately getting chucked out!

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
3rd time lucky then Pete.

I had a simillar problem with my L134,s. Do you have another male in the tank?. I removed the other male from my tank and my other male seemed to get the hang of looking after the eggs rather than eating them.

Cheers

thegeeman

I

intrepidmax

I know this might sound a bit mental but why not try a red filter on the torch....(or permanent marker red) see if this makes a difference, you might find it wont bother them so much. then you will be able to see no probs.

I know my hypans can see the red light but it doesnt bother them as much as white LED.

I

intrepidmax

Lol, no this is true. It doesnt seem to bother my fish as much as the white does. gen up.

I only noticed this when I came back and my hand torch and head torch (both LED) had been coloured in...I had forgot that it was coloured and thats when I made the discovery lol.

try it and see, if you dont like it then remove it.... here is some more useless info lol.
to remove permanent marker you can use. nail varnish remover or pads, you can also use deodorant and you can use fag ash with a touch of water. or if really desperate spit and a clump of grass.

try it see what you think. I might experiment with different colours see what works best.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Lol, no this is true. It doesnt seem to bother my fish as much as the white does. gen up.

I only noticed this when I came back and my hand torch and head torch (both LED) had been coloured in...I had forgot that it was coloured and thats when I made the discovery lol.

try it and see, if you dont like it then remove it.... here is some more useless info lol.
to remove permanent marker you can use. nail varnish remover or pads, you can also use deodorant and you can use fag ash with a touch of water. or if really desperate spit and a clump of grass.

try it see what you think. I might experiment with different colours see what works best.

I

intrepidmax

Oi pmsfl :p im not doing drugs. I'd get kicked out my job and that would be un-professional anyway. lol Im serious try it and see.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
3rd time lucky then Pete.

I had a simillar problem with my L134,s. Do you have another male in the tank?. I removed the other male from my tank and my other male seemed to get the hang of looking after the eggs rather than eating them.

Cheers

thegeeman
I recon there might be 6 males in there and 3 females. It's a 4 foot tank with plenty of hiding spaces and 5 caves. This recent male tht was guarding eggs must've had a hard time of it from another male as his tail is a bit worse for wear. But I do think it was the torch that spooked him as there was that single wriggler that same night, which means he's managed to guard the eggs until almost hatched. I can see me getting a smaller tank now and splitting them up. Will a 30"x12" deep tank do for say 2 males and 3 females?

stumac

Jul 18, 2009
REDDINGMUIRHEAD
water params would be gd for those trying to breed em mate, a laser pen might be the way forward for viewing as the red particles of light are filtered out by water hence the reason u can view with a red torch