L134 breeding cycle.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Hi guys.

Out of the people that have regularly bred L134s, how long does it take roughly for a female to spawn again? Mines spawned 3 weeks ago come Monday, but the male ate the eggs. Since the spawn, I've done small water changes every day and was wondering if I should leave them from this Monday without a waterchange for a week and then hit them with a large cool water change the following Monday (Which will be 28 days after the last spawn) or keep doing the daily water changes for another week before leaving them for a week before doing the large water change (which will be 35 days). Any help much appreciated.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
not entirely sure on the L134 but other plecs i have bred (all hypans) tend to have a 4 to 6 week breeding cycle. The male will only breed when he is happy and ready to so even if the female is ready the male might not be.

i know both windy and thegeeman have spawned frogs many times so im sure they will have more info on the cycle of the L134

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sorry mine wont spawn at all (or if they do they do it without me seeing and eat everything!) -but going by L270 i would reckon 4 weeks -ish.
I personally would keep the small water changes going but add some bigger ones in a week if no action in sight.

andyj

Apr 25, 2009
Derby
The 1st two spawns I had were about 6 weeks apart, but then they've had a 7month break since the 2nd one !!! lol ;)

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Cheers guys. I'm going to do their last small water change tonight, leave it for a week and hit them with a large cool one. The one I recon is female that spawned last time seems to be hanging around the side of the males cave now and then. And the other pair are still in the other cave after 3 weeks!

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
I do 10% water changes every second day and my colony have been breeding through the winter every 34-40 days but they slow down through summer as the water temp raises. But they have been doing that for three years now and still going strong as two have my second colony. I do water changes even when they have eggs as I have induced several double and triple spawns in my tank. lealea