L134 diet

Dayvos

Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
I recently just got 3 L134 at about 5cm each in a 4 foot tank with some cherry shrimps. There are caves and some wood.

I been feeding them Hirari Carnivore pellets and shrimp pellets before i go to be at night. I leave it in a small terracotta dish. But by morning time it looks untouched. the food had been dispersed all over the tank.

How can I tell if they're eating or not? At least with vege eaters you can tell by looking at the vege. Any advice will be greatly appreciated:hi:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
how does their stomach look like. It could be that you are overfeeding and thus food is left over. I usually feed one pellet per fish per day or at most two but no more. cheers jk :thumbup:

Dayday

Jan 27, 2012
Australia
guess I'll have to try and fish them out or something. They're always hiding. can barely see them.

Never knew they eat so little. My pepps eat like half a small zucchini, so I thought the L134's would eat a lot as well

Dayvos

Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
The stomachs were very rounded when I got them. So rounded to the point where when they swim it looks like they were swimming on their bellies.

I've have them for about 5 days now. From what I can see their stomachs dont look sunken, I am so tempted to take them out to have a look but don't want to stress them. As like all my other plecs I have in the past they are constantly hiding, so its hard to really tell.

I've even tried algae disks and a bit of cucumber but it remains untouched. I feed them overnight and by morning there are food left. It's hard to really know how much they're eating as with dried pellets they expand a lot. But I'm constantly having to remove left over food. They're not touching the Carnivore pellets as by morning it's still the same shape as when I put it in the night before. Oh, one thing i do notice is their poo is of similar color to the shrimp sticks feed them like a light grayish brown

Running out of ideas

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
too much protein when they are bloated is also not a good think.
I would change your feeding schedulle.
Do you ever also just feed a zuchinni ?
I only use Hikari algae wafers and shrimp pellets.
Maybe for 2-3 days just feed them zuchinni and peas( blanch the peas and remove the skin ) add two per fish. Some people overfeed their fish so much when they wish to sell and in my view that is also not good. I am not saying that the seller did this, but i have noticed this practise when I buy fish. I also have one day where I do not feed any of my Ls. cheers jk :thumbup: