L144 Spawn

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
congrats, is it the first time they have spawned?

personally i would leave the eggs with the male if possible and see what happens. The only time i remove eggs now is if there are other fish in the tank that may spook the male and make him eat the eggs, just my opinion

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I would leave the male with the eggs as long as they are in a safe-ish place. He should work it out and stay with them until they have hatched and eaten yolk sac. Try not to spook him and just leave him to it. Now they have bred they should breed every 3 weeks or so.

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
I have only had the pair for about a month so first time spawn for me, was told they had spawned previously but not sure if eggs was seperated or not as previous owner has moved abroad, but male seems happy enough so i think i will leave him to it for now

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Good luck, He should be fine.

I was totally lucky with mine. I bought two unsexed baby L144, who happened to grow up to be male and female and then luckily they bred lol.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Congrates on the spawn graham:woohoo::woohoo:

I would also leave them with dad. He might kick them out so keep an eye out for them stuck to the intake:D

Cheers

thegeeman

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
As you said gee male kicked out the eggs as they was just at the wriggling stage i think i will have to invest in an egg tumbler for next time :wb:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It may just be because he is new to it, id give him another chance first.

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
No none saved there was a pair of albino bristlenose in the tank as well which i have now moved on to pastures new i was thinking maybe the males clashed & it upset the male L144 into kicking out eggs too early but hopefully wont be too long till they breed again with better luck next time