L184??

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi folks

Around 6 months ago I brought 11 Ancistrus that were sold as L255 they turned out to be L184.
Some had grey/ pink spots some had large white spots and some had small white spots, all had the distinctive forked tail and the white upper tail markings.
I dropped them in a tank and awaited them to grow and sex up as they developed they started to change they spot pattern. Now I might be going mad but this pattern seems to change quite randomly. A few weeks ago I checked them for sexual development and I had 2 fine spots 3 large spots 6 grey/ pink spots.
Now I have 6 fine spots 4 large spots and 1 grey spot fish!!

Help me !!!!!

What is the reason? It seems to be across the sexes and shows no preference for size or sexual development.
I am going mad trying to understand this. Any one had L184,s / Ancistrus and seen this happen?

Regards Bob

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Could it be the mistake of the seller and they be seperate L's? I've not seen the L184 be so different in pattern this is why I thought they could be different. At what size are they now bob?

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
3" mate
Wild caught came via Columbia from a source I trust.
I would think several different Sp if it was not the fact they change back and forth from small spots to grey / pink spots to large whit spots. no fixed pattern, they are just changing at random . but nature has no random.
Regards Bob

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Crossed my mind that the pattern could be genetic. Just like the L134 and others. But it is interesting they change back and forth

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
lol and you complain about squiglles and lines.
What I also have noticed is that the eyes are different as well.
I also find the head shape different, almost like a dekseria type flat face.
Maybe wait 6more months to see what they look like then. sorry cant help you further. Also poss L327. cheers jk :thumbup:

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
The bit that is flipping me is the tail they all have the same tail same shape same markings same pattern. At first I thought I had counted wrong but after 3 times of checking them and having them out i am now sure i cant be wrong 3 times. Evert time the ratio is different

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
lol and you complain about squiglles and lines.
What I also have noticed is that the eyes are different as well.
I also find the head shape different, almost like a dekseria type flat face.
Maybe wait 6more months to see what they look like then. sorry cant help you further. Also poss L327. cheers jk :thumbup:
L327 not possible.. Unless someone has glued a different tail on. :hi:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
have a glass of milk ? Maybe you only have one and count 6 lol.
I would say wait 6 months, if all tails seem ok then it should maybe be fine. Cheers jk

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
The fish in picture 3 has light patches as well as spots. The first picture it's a black fish. The bristles are also very large for the size of the fish. Could be something to go on as well as head shape. Goodluck with them bob :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Can't offer a rational explanation for a fish being able to change spots so quickly but they are pretty little things, the first one especially.

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
Could it be a chromatophore responce to lighting levels, a fish that has been sheltered to light showing a different pattern to one that has been in a well lit position:dk:

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Could it be a chromatophore responce to lighting levels, a fish that has been sheltered to light showing a different pattern to one that has been in a well lit position:dk:
At first i did think this because they were showing more fish with the dark grey pink spots.
Now its not so inviting a reason.
I have decided to spread them out over 3 tanks and see if they change the pattern again or if they stay the same I will treat the tanks in the same way as far as water changes, lighting, substrate, decor feeding and water quality goes.