L201 Aggressive breeding.

Dempsey_au

Nov 6, 2014
Sydney
Last night My Female L201 was severely beaten, I've put in a Melafix dosage, and Ill continue it, for the next 7 days like the label says,
but: poor thing had just wedged itself away from them or "him"
Its the main breeding male who's done it Im sure.

Anymore suggestions from people who've kept them, or keeps them?
its a group of 3 males and 1 female.
I do like the ratio, theres a lot of hiding spots.
Only 2 males are active, so it is possible the 3rd is a female, I actually haven't taken too much notice to sex.
I just know they breed every 3 weeks, and leave them to it.

I know she's meant to be breeding atm based on all the others, so he's trying to force her, and I took out the one cave they usually breed in after the last spawn, because I wanted to try and force them to breed in a cave I can get the eggs from..

Last night I put the cave they like back in, and BOOM today she's beaten up etc.
My fault maybe huh..

Any other suggestions = Grateful.

Cheers
Karl.

hoodie75

Apr 29, 2014
Sydney, Australia
It's happened before to 201 I've kept and bred in the past, I just sgregated the beaten fish in a saver with a stone and good clean water flow also with 333 & 66, no extra chems, just lots of air/ stone, good water flow and a clean environment, some have been so badly beaten, I would never think they would heal, but most have pulled through with that intervention, good luck and hope all ends well
Christian

Dempsey_au

Nov 6, 2014
Sydney
Cheers Mate.

All has ended well, I think I mightve been a bit shell shocked, because I thought at first it was the female that was beaten so severely.
But, was a male who always fights.
I seperated him, put melafix in the entire tank, ran it for a few days, it fungused up, dropped off, went white, and pretty much healed now.

hoodie75

Apr 29, 2014
Sydney, Australia
L201 beat down

Hi Dempsey,
That's awesome everything worked out for you and the fish, at times I've been amazed how such badly beaten L's can recover so fast and well,
All the best & Regards
Christian