L201 fry update & ?

kakamac

G'day All,

I thought I'd update everyone on the 4 L201 that I bred and what I fed as well as asking a question which I hope someone can answer. A few days after placing the fry in the fry saver which was kept in the main tank one died (not sure why) however the other 3 survived.

Foods Offered
I initially offered lettuce which was ignored but got them to feed on flake food and sera viformo which they have survived on. I also offered a small piece of NLS H20 wafer every few feeds which was not eaten (i'll try that again when they are older). JBL Novo plec faired well and the young seem to like it. My main food item though is as previously mentioned Sera Viformo.

Size and Release from the Trap
The young have now reached a size of around 1 cm in length. It surprised me how quick they were to reach that size. I've released them from the fry trap into the main tank tonight back with their parents who along with the cherry shrimp are the only occupants of the tank. The only concern I have though is that they may not have spent enough time in the fry trap (only 33 days).

The fry and their Markings
When first placed in the fry trap one of the four looked unusual in that it is whitish in colour. The other three however were darker and of the two that survived have a similar look to their parents. The light coloured one however is still rather light (not unlike an albino bristlenose but a little browner in colour) without red eyes and is the second largest.

The question I have is, is this colouration unusual? The fry does not seem unwell or is it simply stress getting to the plec?

I hope my little diary made for some interesting reading although it is not overly detailed. I also hope that people can give me some feedback as this is my first clutch of fry.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
well done on the first spawn:clap::clap:and the diary update:yes:

I have had a couple of L144 fry which have been lighter in colour than the others, they seem fine though and are growing ok. Obviously not the same type of plec but could be the same reason.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
congrats on the spawn, i'd guess that you can get all sorts of weird and wonderful colours on new fry, but most will adopt the same markings/ colour as the parents when they grow on a bit.
nice detailed post too, just missing some pics. lol

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Thanks for the quite in depth info kakamac iv just accquired a pair so will be using this to reffer too.
cheers

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
excellent, well done.
obviously doing something right.
are the parents in a species tank or community set up?
maybe you could write an article?

kakamac

Thanks all for the replies. After writing the little diary I was kicking myself thinking how stupid I must have sounded to the whole forum. I actually was then surprised to see a number of replies to my post which was great and thanks to all for your support.

L201's are by far my favourite pleco's and the first breeding was quite a surprise to my fiancee and I. The colony I have are in their own tank without any other species of fish. I'd be more than happy to write an article if requested and the mods approve it. I will also do my best to get photos although I'm not great with photographing fish. Again thanks to everyone for their replies and for answering my questions.

Have a great day all and happy pleco keeping.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks all for the replies. After writing the little diary I was kicking myself thinking how stupid I must have sounded to the whole forum. I actually was then surprised to see a number of replies to my post which was great and thanks to all for your support.

L201's are by far my favourite pleco's and the first breeding was quite a surprise to my fiancee and I. The colony I have are in their own tank without any other species of fish. I'd be more than happy to write an article if requested and the mods approve it. I will also do my best to get photos although I'm not great with photographing fish. Again thanks to everyone for their replies and for answering my questions.

Have a great day all and happy pleco keeping.
lol you didn't sound stupid.

As for an article--that would be great:clap::clap::clap:
(with or without pics)