L231 possibly?

Darren Balch

Jun 21, 2011
Essex
I need some help IDing 2 Plecs that my LFS have been given. The attached images lead me to beleive that they are L231 but I am having trouble tracking down much information on them online. Its the most similar in the All L numbers Aqualog. They are both similar in size and shape being approx 5 inches long.

They are up for sale at £30 each but I can get them for £20. Some of the info ive seen online says that they grown 12inches so I need to be sure on the ID.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Many thanks

Darren

Attachments

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
My first instinct was Hypostomus soniae due to the steel blue eyes, body shape and colour/pattern. But I haven't seen H. soniae with spots before.

They are definitely Hypostomus, and part of the Hypostomus cochliodon group. From looking at pictures of L231 it doesn't look like this to me, it has the wrong body shape and different coloured eyes.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Both L138 and LDA051(= Hypostomus cochliodon) look good for it (and so do many others) but they all lack the steel blue eyes. I only know of the H. soniae and L360 that have them, but neither look right.

Last edited:

Darren Balch

Jun 21, 2011
Essex
Thanks for the info guys, L360 does look the closest but its worth mentioning that the pictures are a little missleading regarding the eye colour. From memory they werent Blue. Ill try and get some better pictures and hopefully one of the mouth. If they do turn out to be L360's does anyone know what they are worth?

Many Thanks

Darren

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I've not seen L360 for sale, and they aren't allowed for export from Brazil so I don't expect to see them again. But these fish aren't L360 anyway, I think that £20/30 is good price regardless of what it might be.