L262 Sexing

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I bought these 2 a few months back as a sexed pair. Now they are well conditioned I have taken them out for sexing as in the tank I didn't notice any great differences and both cave.

I have had several different opinions on these ranging from them being a pair, that they are 2 females and one person is insisting they are both males so I'm confused to say the least :dk:

If anyone can confirm the sex of these I'll be very greatful :D

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/photoplog/images/174/1_IMAG6413__800x600_.jpg
Fish 1

Fish 1 left, fish 2 right

Both from underneith

Fish 1 right, fish 2 left

Fish 1 left, fish 2 right

Cheers
Gem

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
hmmm tricky one......

very nice fish... both have very similar head shape... both have thick first pectorial ray... both have minimal hair on their pec fins... both have rounded bodies in U-shape... both have large rear fins for fanning...

has both female and male traits... best to assume they are the same sex...

cant really see vent well enough to decide.... and belly colouring isnt anything you can go on as i have seen 260's (close relative to 262's) have white/coloured bellies in both sexes....

the decider would be their behaviour... caving??? more than 50% of the time?

maybe thinking females... as males are traditionally very hairy on the outer edge of pec fins....

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
They both cave pretty much all the time.

Fish 2 has quite long cheek odontodes while fish 1 has a slightly more pointed head.

I wouldn't mind if it was 2 females as I have a large male in another tank but these 2 really have stumped me :wb:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
is there sufficient cover in the tank for them to hide under rather than hide in a cave???

i have found with 260's the females will cave if theres no where else to hide... but given a choice they prefer to have multiple exits from their hiding spot so caves are usually a last resort....

if theres only one cave in the tank do they fight over it - as if it were to the death???

what size are the fish also ? :)

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
is there sufficient cover in the tank for them to hide under rather than hide in a cave???

i have found with 260's the females will cave if theres no where else to hide... but given a choice they prefer to have multiple exits from their hiding spot so caves are usually a last resort....

if theres only one cave in the tank do they fight over it - as if it were to the death???

what size are the fish also ? :)
They are around 3.5" TL so mature enough to spawn. There is plenty of other hiding places in the tank but neither has a specific cave and one quite often uses an open ended triangle cave. I've never seen them fight over a cave or squabble over anything.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
they are very similar but a few subtle differences so not quite 2 peas in a pod. the eye size and position looks slightly different. but I would expect more differences between a male and female IMHO. maybe they are still sexually immature and are still changing. but very difficult.