L264 food

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
anyone here keeping L264's Sultans ? I plan to get one and am getting conflicting info on their food needs. I have read too much protien ,they get bloat , other articles say feed protien foods , others say mix protien and veggies but still they got bloat, or sticks, so I am at a complete loss . Can anyone who has them tell me what they nutritionally need ? and how often IF they give them protien foods ? thanks,

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i feed a vege flake , 1 frozen cube of daphnia, 1 frozen cube of brine shrimp and some shrimp pellets once a day for 3 fish at 12-13cm sharing with around 10 medium sized royal whiptails....

a mixed diet and lots of water changes and never had any issues with bloat ever... touch wood... speaking of which there is wood in the tank too... have seen them graze over the wood - whether eating it or any microbes living on the wood they seem to like it...

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Bigjohn, appreciate the reply...as I am only used to feeding veggie eaters , this was concerning me, so thanks . I have a huge piece of cool looking wood in the tank , with plenty of hidey places , so he should be happy. I think the farlowella will loose his claim to the wood when the Sultan comes to town ! But the wood it a pretty good size , so just perhaps they will learn to share :whistle:

todda

Mar 13, 2012
Newton, Iowa
I feed mine Ken's veggie flake & New Life Spectrum - they are slow growers, these are 2.5 years old.

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
nice pics... i think i see a definite female... and 3 definite males....
beautiful fish... i hope to breed mine one day soon as a pair has bonded and they are always trapping/sharing a cave together....