L264 sultan pair?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
They are 8 and 9cm or about 3 inches now. They still have the white edging on the tail. Do you think I might be lucky enough to have a pair? One caves, one caves only sometimes and they wrassle like a pair of dogs at times but no damage done.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
these are hard at this size, however it does seem that the head shape is different on both. Looks to me like a poss female left and the male right with the long body and head. cheers you might be on the correct path. cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
nice fish, look in good condition. they have diff head shapes in the pic, but could be how they are sitting. also cant tell in that pic if the ratio of size of back fin to front fins are different (dont even know if they should be for this species, but with quite a lot of plecs the back fin shape or size can vary with sex)

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
similar head shape although one on left looks to have a longer nose... got any more pics so we can eliminate the angle of the fish on the right ???

males get bigger heads than girls... longer face and are a bit thicker....

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
You want me to cough up all the photos? Here ya go. :D
8cm one pic 1 (this one caves all the time)

8cm pic 2

8cm pic 3

9cm pic 1 (this one only caves sometimes)

9cm pic 2

9cm pic 3

9cm pic 4

9cm pic 5

Pair shot 1

Pair shot 2

Pair shot 3

Pair shot 4

Pair shot 5

Pair shot 6

Pair shot 7

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
crossing fingers for ya , Brenda, they are beautiful , not an expert , but the head shapes do look different ,good luck !

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Gee they are slow growing in comparison to my vampires which are getting to be quite substantial fish now. Look on my facebook for the vamp photos johnno as I uploaded a heap last night.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
yeah i saw the pics last night... i know they are the same genus but they have different food desires...

my vamps are close to 14-15cm (males) females few cm smaller....
and are fully meat eaters..... i can hear them laugh when something vege goes into the tank!!! :yes:

but my 264's will eat sera flora and graze over zucchinni as well as brine shrimp and cyclops......

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Really? I don't feed too much carni food to the sultans but I must admit I have never tried them with zucchini before. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah my vamps eat pretty much anything. They are good doers and never knock any fish foods back.