l270

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
macvsog23 may be able to shed some light on them, he had a group that were quite small i believe when they started breeding. L270 dont get overly big anyway so you cant really go by size, no idea at what age they are mature to breed though

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Mine are just over 3 an a bit inch, and they've spawned for me, i believe they spawned for the previous owners while a little younger as well. age wise ive no idea, as they were adult when purchased.
they were wild caught adults when purchased by the original owner, i was there when bought and that was about 1year ago now maybe more and they were spawning pretty much straight away then

mquinny123

Aug 13, 2009
Sheffield
they were wild caught adults when purchased by the original owner, i was there when bought and that was about 1year ago now maybe more and they were spawning pretty much straight away then
Thats interesting mate, as they are probably the most non shy hypans ive ever seen or owned. i always thought they must have been captives (or even ill) due to there outgoing nature, infact one of the females is eyeballing me now as i type this! lol.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Most hypans you can count on 2-years being around the average, and as said the size of a fish doesn't indicate maturity.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Macvsog23,s bred from about 2.5"TL and a guess at 18months to 2 years. He was very suprised to see they had bred as he had put them into a tank to grow out.

I think its down to the fact of when should they breed and not how old they should be.

Cheers

thegeeman

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
How do we know this. They were so small its possible they could have been tank bred.

Cheers

thegeeman
possible yeah but at a very similar time there was also a tank full of L270 in a shop at plymouth, chances of them being tank bread is slim