L333 Sex verify.

Dempsey_au

Nov 6, 2014
Sydney
Hi people.
Id like to get some help verifying the sex of these fish please.
9 in total, minimum of 5 pictures per fish, hope to get some good educated guesses/responses :)

Added 3 photos, theres more in the photobucket album if needed.

Fish 01:
Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 02:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 03:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 04:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 05:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 06:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 07:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 08:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Fish 09:

Picture 01:

02:

03:

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I look for a few things. Hairs on the body part of the tail. Yours pretty much have none as yet so you don't really have a dominant male yet.
Head shape, males usually have a nose that looks like a shovel from above, like you would dig a hole with.
Thickness of pectoral fins usually mean male and both can have tiny hairs but real males will eventually develop hook like hairs.
Body shape, girls are usually fatter in the middle but those aren't quite ready yet.

So 1. Male
2. Female (she has a crooked rear fin which isn't the best for breeding but permissible if they are quite rare in your area).
3. Male
4. Male
5. Male
6 Female
7 Male (rather a bad fin there but females probably wont select him to breed with anyway)
8 Female
9. First I thought Male but on second thoughts, female.

Oh another thing I check is those cheek whiskers. If there are some longer ones extending level or past the base of the pec fin that's probably male.

Last edited:

Dempsey_au

Nov 6, 2014
Sydney
Thanks for your response.
Ive got another 4 adults that are the dominant males.
no 1: theres no getting them out of the cave to take photos.. they seriously will die before deciding to let go and fall into the water.
And: Its obvious they are males by the hair! they are Covered in it!. and aggressive attitude.

your opinions are similar to mine, except, I thought 7 would be a female.
Yeh, I feel so sorry for that one, the fin is broken, bent that way from damage, by the time I saw it, it was kind of fused that way, and felt cruel to break it again into place..

Im trying to work it out though, to cut down the males.
I didnt notice the rear fin on fish 2, Ill check it out, could be damage also.
Love that ones lines though.