L333 sexing please

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
Can I please get some help with the smaller fish on the right. I'm pretty sure this one dropped the eggs once, and as you can see has been scratched at the tail section.

Very minimal hairs on arms and sides.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i find the body long for a female and not plump enough. Maybe it is a young male. The rasping can be it he wishes to protect his cave and the other male rasps his tail. Maybe I am wrong. Any chance for vet shots ? I would maybe feed up and see. cheers jk :thumbup:

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
Thanks for the help so far guys, I will try get a vent shot.

The reason I belive this female has dropped before was it was in with another female and I did see eggs with the male in two seperate occasions. I know the other one is a female as she went thin and was smallest of the group, but I'm pretty sure this one in picture also dropped as she also went thin.

But the main thing I notice was that both had these orange dots around their genital areas, which I believe means they are female in mature plecos??

Any further thoughts?

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
Body shape looks male but if there is yellow dots around vent then IMO it is a female cos all my female have yellow dots as well

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
yellow dots is by no means a certainty of a female.... none of my 333 or 66 girls have yellow dots...spawned 100's of fry... neither do any of the males... more suggestive to being in certain blood lines... my friend reckons it maybe a venereal disease!!! lol....