L333 sexing

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
what is their size ? can you have a white background for photos ? Side shot as well are L333 are sometimes also mix of L066. cheers jk :thumbup:

Just Pansy

Apr 24, 2011
Bonnyrigg
hey guys, its 9 - 10cms i can take em out and take more photo''s again! it was sold to me as a pair just wanted to comfirm! Bregen? is it to def males? =\

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
It looked a bit hairy on the fins and a little on the tail, although that might have been since the background showed it up so well.

If it was mine I would keep it as it does look female enough to be doubtful of it being male.

Are they fighting? At that size 2 males in a tank would probably not be getting on well in a smaller tank. Maybe it is a butch female with the hair thing happening, I have a L260 female like that.

Just Pansy

Apr 24, 2011
Bonnyrigg
They are housed in a 3ftx3ft about 380 litres they dont seem to be fighting not that i''ve seen. Yeah she's got some little hairs not as much as those compared to the male! alot more and longer.. :wb: owner said they are roughly 3 yrs. they are quit big will take a photo of them in tank to compare sizes.

Just Pansy

Apr 24, 2011
Bonnyrigg
here are some more pics

Attachments

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very difficult, looking at the shape of the head, I would say 1M and 1F. What throws me off is the hair. Wait another 10months and fatten up so to speak. But I gues 60% pair. cheers jk :thumbup:

Just Pansy

Apr 24, 2011
Bonnyrigg
thanks big bird so which one do you think is male n which one is male?? also what are the best food to be feeding these lil fella's to fat'n em up ??

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Still looks like 2 males to me. The one on the left is most definitely male. Has a males head, pectoral fins are thicker with longer hair on them. He has the typical cigar shaped body.

The other is a less dense fish altogether. The head is finer, the pectoral fins are thinner but still with quite a bit of hair. I am also thrown by the right anal fin. It is broken which is typical of being forced out of a cave or caught badly in a net. Its only an injury I have seen on a male (it may be just me). Its entire body shape is cigar male. There is no promise of a female belly developing atm at all.

I would suggest leaving them for a couple of months to settle and fatten up. Hikari algae wafers are good for L333's and will condition them well. Cucumber or zucchine will also help to bulk out their bodies with the fibre of it.

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
at 9-10 cm they should be spawning well and truly.... i have females at 7cm starting to lay eggs.... and if the dominant male is busy on eggs a smaller male round 8cm does the deed...

to me it maybe a pair... or

dominant male and a non dominant male.....

the length of the fins is different in both fish.... males are longer... females are shorter...

to condition them prior to a spawn feed meaty foods and plenty of them... 2-3 times a day with some extra water changes....:thumbup:

Just Pansy

Apr 24, 2011
Bonnyrigg
thanks guys for the feed back, they did look like a pair to me. i just bought them, was sold as breeding pair and now i will put all the suggestions to action now, to get them goin!! will keep everyone posted.