Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
All assigned numbers: L377, LDA18

Common Names:

Photos:
<------------------Upload attachments--------------->

Appearance:

Compatibility:
Most Peckoltia species are fairly peaceful and grow to much smaller adult sizes than other plecs, this make them ideal for breeding or keeping in smaller tanks, a tank size of 80cms length is recommended for this particular Pekoltia.

Sexing and Breeding:
Males have long odontodes behind the gill covers and on the lower end of the body, also the pectoral fin spines will have odontodes

Diet:
Omnivore

Water parameters:
Temp 25-29c PH 5.5-7.5

Max Size:
13cms

Bred by:
lcrazy

Breeding Log:
See post below, for all comments please use original thread located here http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7579

Additional Comments:
13cm seems to be the common max size

Last edited by a moderator:

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
I have a colony of 7 adults, 3m 4f.
Housed in a 5x2x2 ft tank, and shares a 16 stage matrix sump with 3 other tanks of the same volume. I am using a laguna 9500 pump, LP60 Air system (only runs in these 4 tanks, creates super volumes of dissolved oxygen in the water combined with 3 Lrg sponge fillters in each tank, my water is like a running, fresh, clean and clear river.
2x jager 300w heaters keeping my tanks at a stable 29 degrees.
Tanks have multiple D/W with Anubis plants attached and have white 5mm gravel in the bottom. 2 caves for every male and the wood aid in sufficient hiding places.
I have now been lucky enough to breed these guys for the last 6
+months and have successful spawns. Like most Plecs the male courts the female and traps her in his cave, 1-3 days later male lets the female exit and he continues to incubate the eggs for a further 10-14 days (IMO, depending on water temps), after I see wrigglers I empty the fry into a fry saver, put dad back in with his girls then watch the little fellas grow.
After 1 week of the fry being in the saver I start feeding with crushed fry powder and the following week start on pellets and solids.
I have now had several successful spawns and will be happy to assist any that ask
Thanks Ben

Adult female

Fry

setup

Tank mates

Sub adult

Status
Not open for further replies.