L46, boy or girl?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
4 nice pics from above and zero side pics??? that to me will be the deciding pic... cheek odontodes will be developed if its a male by 4 years of age...

side pic in good focus will give you the answer :)

sprinter

Feb 28, 2010
west midlands
Thanks guys, if I can I will try to get an in tank shot from the side. I have 2 males from the same brood with really obvious cheek odontodes whereas this one hasn't. It does occasionally cave but nowhere near as much as the obvious males.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hair suggests male, but is a little short on the nose. so very borderline. if you already have two good males in the tank he could be just a sub-ordinate male, move him into his own tanks and see if he he gets hairier maybe.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i still tend to go for a female, as on the fins there are no hairs. but in all honesty, I do not have these in my tank, so leave it to those that have them in their tanks. cheers jk :thumbup:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i find these easier to sex than 333s and 66's sometimes... 201's are pretty easy and 260's also... but when you have the fish at home you have the advantage of seeing their behaviour too :)

sprinter

Feb 28, 2010
west midlands
Thanks for the input everyone.
This fish never caves, but it is in a tank with 3 confirmed males and a confirmed female.
Maybe one day it will spawn and reveal it's self!