Leopard Frog – Murdering Thug or Physical Injury??

Within the last couple of months this is the 3rd Male I have fished out of my tank with exactly the same injury, found first thing as the lights go on. Big chunk taken out behind the eye, and the eye on the 2nd dead fish was hanging loose.

The tank is 48x18, Leopard Frogs, a few Guppys and a single CRS. Decorated with slate terraces, loads of wood and every type of cave known to man.

I have removed all the LF’s this morning and changed the caves and decoration. The remaining fish show no signs of injury but I do think I have considerably more males than females. There are 2 females that look ready to lay. I now have 11 fish.

It is possible that one of the slates has caused this injury and this has been removed but the fish would have had to back onto it.

So what do you think?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
sounds like you have a murderous male in there with them somewhere, L134's can be extremely aggressive, mine used to have huge fights all of the time

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hey Jules

I have seen similar injury with frogs before. I had 12 in a 4ft and they were fine until they became mature and started defending territory. I lost several of them over the space of a few days. I split them up and finished with 2 males and 3 females in the 4ft.

My money is on a murdering male frog looking to establish territory.

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
the dead ones all look like males (see lots of hair down the body anyway) 11 fish is a lot in one tank, I would remove a few of the males before another gets killed.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Yup what thegeeman said, 2 males and 3 females if you have that many females.
Caves up opposite ends of the tank to each other. Keep a backup male in a community tank somewhere in case you lose one. :)