Long Nose Whiptail ID confirmation and sex please?

pleco4me

Mar 7, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey all!

Let me introduce you to my to whiptail catfish! I believe they are "long nose whiptails (S. barbatum)" but confirmation would be appreciated :)

I would love for you to try and sex them for me... I hope they are a pair but cannot be sure - they look really similar to me and I am told this type of whiptail doesnt develop hairs around the head?

Heres the pics - I tried to include pics of the pair together but also have some more individual shots as well...

Hope you enjoy and thanks for viewing,
Craig :hi:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
yes they are long nose whiptails... and snobs at that.... noses are very turned up.... i breed them regularly... and whoever told you the males dont develope hair on their head - tell them from me they dont know sh*t about long nose whips.... the males grow beards just like the royal whiptails do...
but they need to be in the region of 20cm before they really mature (not including their tail whips)
chances are they are both males.... for some reason here in WA we get nearly all males.... i wonder if there is a way of sexing them at an early age - im thinking the breeders over east keep all the girls for themselves and send males west.... :thumbup:

kezza

Dec 29, 2011
lake placid
Oh these guys are so cute, these are the very same ones I have. i have been trying to sex them but now I can see they are too small to sex yet. only about 10cm. biggest one is about 15cm. I am hoping I have atleast a girl and boy. I have 4. One has a crooked tail. is this because his tail got broken when he was little or would it be a deformity? Also, how big do they grow?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
size

i have a reverse trio that are nearly 25cm body size.... they havent gotten any bigger in the last year or so - so i'd say thats pretty much full size....

as for the beard thingy... males have a hell beard... and the female has an old granny beard too....

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sounds like me missus :lol:
anyway if you can get shots from bottom, side and top. Male do develope beards. At 13-15cm you can tell this. I have royal whips but 2 F and 1 M and they laid eggs at 6cm so go an figure, They have laid now every 3 weeks.
Some say Male has larger fins if looking from top and female is more rounded but this is hard to judge. Post some more pics and good luck. cheers jk :thumbup:

kezza

Dec 29, 2011
lake placid
I can't wait for mine to get old enough to grow beards. dying to know what sex mine are.
Also, where do they lay eggs? In a cave or on a rock or glass??

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
mine have laid eggs on glass, anubias and wood. make sure you have a good current. they love that cheers jk :thumbup:

kezza

Dec 29, 2011
lake placid
One more question, when i bought my whiptails they had long threads which looked like string at the end of their tail tips. but slowly these have dissapeared. Nothing in tank that could of ate them off. Do they naturally just loose these as they get older?