Looking for suggestions

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
For a pleco that gets no bigger than 8" and could live happily with 3 pictus,2 Bn's and rainbows.Ideally not to shy and would live happily as the only 1 in the tank.Any suggestions gratefully recieved.B-)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It would really depend on the size of the tank. BN's can be quite territorial esp around food:yes:

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
as above, i wouldn't keep my BNs with any other pleco even if they are twice the size, i've heard far too many horror stories of BNs bullying fish 3x bigger than themselves.
If it was just the pictus and rainbows i'd suggest something like L200 green phantom or L264 Sultan, nice medium size plecs that are fairly hardy and not too fussy like Gold Nuggets or there are plenty of nice Peckoltias out there B-)

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
There are quite a few options available for a tank that size. Diet compatibility is always something to take into considertation.

Is there anything you're interested in? Or could you provide a bit more criteria to narrow the options down a bit?

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
To many types and too little space:lol:Well i would really like one that is like a centrepiece thats not too shy,or maybe i could go for 2 smaller 1s:wb:So many l# and they all confuse me lol

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
i would really like one that is like a centrepiece thats not too shy
so not a pleco then...
.. lol sorry, others may share different stories but my limited experience so far is the mid sized/fancy plecs are usually the ones that hide all day as they are more timid, bigger plecs have nothing to fear so will generally cruise at leisure, plus its not so easy for them to hide, my experience may be in part because i provide my Plecs LOTS of hiding spaces and cover to keep stress to a minimum
for example the 2 plecs i mentioned earlier Phantom and Sultan, i may see a slither of tail on occasion but it can be many days between sightings unless i purposely move their favourite slate to gain a better view, which i'm obviously against, but i'm content to know they are there and happy, others prefer their caves all pointing forwards so they constantly have a view of their Hypans bottom, its personal choice.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Are you looking for a particular color?
Spots?
Stripes?
Something like the L200 (previously mentioned) or L128 are always great choices.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
I have found L075 to be one of the least shy "colourful" plecos around, all of mine are out and about all day, and imo are one of the prettiest mid sized ones.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Thanks for that,but it looks like i'm going a bit smaller.Went to the lfs today and it looks like its a choice between L066 and L201 and L002 ,any observations and opinions of these 3 gratefully recieved.B-)

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Out of those three i would get a L002, but then i prefer panaques;)

plus the L002 would be more diet compatible with the bns.