Mooo's DIY Co2 system.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Here is my DIY Co2 recipe and the results
The yeast mix goes like this.....

You'll need:

Just under a teaspoon of yeast (2/3) (the dry yeast for bread making is fine, comes with several satchels in the box)
2 cups sugar
A pinch of Bi-carb (helps to maintain steady pH)

Firstly, clean out your bottle with hot water till is has no smell to it. Fill the bottle with enough hot water to saturate the sugar to melt. Put your 2 cups of sugar in including the bi-carb, and give the bottle a good shake by placing a spare lid on or with your fingers/hands.

In a cup of 28-29 temp water(important), place your yeast in with a good pinch of sugar. Give it a good stir, and let it sit.(the sugar activates the yeast)

Fill your sugar bottle up with cold water, BUT just enough so that your yeast mix can still fit in and make it up to where the bottle starts to curve (spout).

When your bottle cools down to under 30, you can place your yeast mix in and give it another good shake. By this time your yeast should have activated.

Place your co2 cap back on TIGHTLY and your done!

It will take a few hours to build up enough pressure to push the C02 gas up to the diffuser.
The first morning after you have bubbles from diffuser, your fish may be on the top gasping a little,
This never happened to me, but it is something to watch for, as the C02 has an effect on your pH.
What I do is, turn my airstone up full at night, when light are turned off, This will displace the Gas faster, as the plants don't use C02 for photosynthesis when resting, & with the extra unused gas in the water it will cause pH swings,
The Bi Carb used in the recipe making process helps to keep the pH stable.
remember when the lights go on, you turn the air down to almost nothing....a few bubbles is ok.

Bottle lasts about three weeks..I always make mine the night before I am changing over, so the pressure is already built up enough to only take a short while to start to work the diffuser.
I don't know if this recipe is right for a bigger sized tank or even if it matters, another thing to find out I guess.
I haven't had any issues with mine..
This recipe creates 1 bubble per second of Co2 gas..
Mine has been working well for over 6 months. main inhabitants of said tank are my L397's, Cherry Shrimp & DAShrimp.

Now you just sit back and watch the plants grow out the top of your tank lol
Here are some pics
With my old regulator

The diffuser

My new fandangled reactor

The results

PS
Research running Co2 FIRST :whistle: