more co2 =more growth = less no3 in h20?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey guys and girls i hope this finds you well and you are able to help me and my little fishy ones

I have a high nitrate of 36ppm in my water and i am using a 100ltr tank filled with bunched plants to obsorb the nitrate and then use the water to fill up my tanks with fish in. My kits show that by adding my water in to the plant filled aqauraium that plants changed the nitrate level from 36ppm to 10ppm.

I want to make this tank into a fully planted aqaurium for two reasons
1. for some eye candy
2 to see if it will reduced the nitrate futher (the moset important reason)

The questions i have are
1. will more plants means less nitrates?
2 is more plants mean less nitrates, are there any type of plants that are best for this job?
3 i use 50%of the water every 3 days, will these type of plants be affected by the volume of water change

I am also going to be creating a 40ltr planted tank for the same use. Would this be any diffferent to the 100ltr tank?

p.s i am also using seachem

hope you can all help and thank you for you time :)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
1. will more plants means less nitrates?
2 is more plants mean less nitrates, are there any type of plants that are best for this job?
3 i use 50%of the water every 3 days, will these type of plants be affected by the volume of water change
1. Yes.
2. Quick growing ones with the proviso that as the nitrate level drops they can adapt and not turn up their toes. I'd recommend Cabomba caroliniana, Hornwort Ceratophyllum, Indian Fern (Ceratopteris), a floater - Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium and/or Water Lettuce Pistia or Floating Fern Salvinia) and an Echindorus (Amazon Sword). The floaters and stem plants are easy to thin, the Sword is more difficult to prune and you need to remove whole leaves.
3. No.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello Mr. C and Darrel,

Just out of curriosity, does this however also not depend on how many fish you have in the tank and also how much one feeds ? I find a few people have too many fish and also overfeed ( me sometimes as well ) and this causes the high nitrates, thus more water changes etc. So it is basically a balance between fish, feeding and plants ? cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Hello Mr. C and Darrel,

Just out of curriosity, does this however also not depend on how many fish you have in the tank and also how much one feeds ? I find a few people have too many fish and also overfeed ( me sometimes as well ) and this causes the high nitrates, thus more water changes etc. So it is basically a balance between fish, feeding and plants ? cheers jk :thumbup:
The planted tank in question is to be utilized to condition tap water & will contain no fish. You are correct in your assumptions otherwise though. ccole is battling high nitrates in his tap water thus a desire to condition it in other means than chemically.

Ltoro

Apr 9, 2011
Australia
I find that wisteria, baby tears and stellata (under high light and CO2) grow soo quickly that my N are almost non traceable even with a heavy fish load, the other side to that is that i due have to keep a very close eye on my iron and other nutrients so that my slower growing plants dont get starved....Oh and deff try and due your watter changes with RO water or at the very least Puratap filter.

I found this web-site very very usefull when setting up my planted tank

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/search/label/planted aquarium basics

let us know how you go with it.