MSG in Algae Wafers?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Hi folks, I nipped into HK this morning for some fish food and the place I usually go was out of OSI spirullina discs, so I grabbed a bag of Hikari Tropical Algae wafers. Firstly I'm a bit shocked that the first ingredient is Fish meal?!!
Secondly the ingredient that really puzzles me is Monosodium Glutamate!! Personally I think this stuff is Poison! What do you think the purpose of this additive is? I'm hesitant to use these, does anyone use them?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Indeed Bob!
on the front of the bag it states "for plecostomus and herbivorous species" yet the first ingredient is fish meal.
It was my bad to buy the product without first checking it out properly.:wb:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thats why they are fine for omnivors but should be given sparsly to herbivors, the wardley wafers are better.
MSG is an odd ingredient to be sure!, but not as dreadful as you may think. it occurs naturally in mushrooms and a lot of plecs like mushroom

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Who uses them?? Probably 90% of plec keepers!
Which is why I bought them mate! Just trusting good internet tales of wonder! I stopped using mainland chinese brands last year as it turned out many had melamine as filler! I switched my dogs to the RMB way of eating about 3 years ago with great success, and from what i've seen these past couple days I'm seriously leaning towards 100% home made fish foods as well! I don't buy much anyway aside from the stuff for my FH's, flake for the community, and algae wafers. How hard can it be right?:dk:

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Hikari wafers are like crack for my panaque, and to be fair if you keeping large SP of pleco you cant go wrong with them. Keeping the larger guys full and healthy is a bit of a chalange for the keeper and the filters ;-).

As for MSG, I was gutted when they took it out of pringles!