My 1st ever planted tank

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Was setting up shrimp tank today and started off with moss, 2 anubias and 1 sword, however a trip to my LFS this afternoon changed it.

Now i have attempted my first planted tank so please excuse my scaping attempts lol.

Includes, swords, anubias, hairgrass, moss and some plant i dont know its name (with white in back left corner)

tank is cycling hence excuse the cloudyness

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Has potential this.

My gut feeling is as the tank 'flows' right to left that the larger piece of wood with the moss on it (nearest the hairgrass) would look better facing the other way?

Something tells me the plant back left is not aquatic but will await someone who actually knows what they are talking about to chip in!

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Someone else said that aswell, but they think there is 3 plants that arents aquarium plants.
The LFS had quiet a few of them so what would that mean for my tank if its not an 'aquatic'

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hello,

nice start. The non aquatic plants are
1. The back left white one
2. The large leaf one right infront of the filter
I am unable to enlarge the photo so cannot see all of them.
Non aquatic means they can survive for short period of time under water, but they do not do well. My view is to remove them and get aquatic plants, this will be less hassle later for you. Look at cork screw val and Java fern ( do not place this in soil but tie on rock or wood).
I would also get another large piece of driftwood and plave from center to back left corner.
good start anyway. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Doesn't Anubias also do better when it is not rooted in the substrate but attached to wood or a rock?

Common practice for LFS to sell plants that are not truly aquatic unfortunately

hinchles

Feb 13, 2012
UK
anu won't care if its in substrate or on wood (or slate etc)

the hair grass will grow alot better if you split it down into lots of smaller bunches (some people even split it down into single strands!) then if you crop the top of so its only just above substrate level when it grows back it should grow back nice and thick

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Well after i got back from NZ everything except the anubias and swords was brown :(.
forgot to tell my aunty how to turn the lights on. Water went pretty yellow and plants what was left just went to sludge when i tried to scoop them out

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Well after i got back from NZ everything except the anubias and swords was brown :(.
forgot to tell my aunty how to turn the lights on. Water went pretty yellow and plants what was left just went to sludge when i tried to scoop them out
you should get a timer for your lights m8.
ive got 3 timers on my 75L,1 for lights,1 for co2,1 for air stone.
well worth getting.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
okay so where i stand at the moment is the strand like things pictured on the back wall are all dead and gone, the non aquatic plant in front of the filter is dead and gone, and my hairgrass is half dead but slowly recovering.

I do not use anything except lights and flourish excel hence why i trying to keep low light plants. What would be the best lights for me to run on a tank such as this ? I have also scrapped the air stone as i have added a small sponge filter to the back left corner which also has an air stone in it.

Is my shrimp tank however i only got 1 cherry shrimp lol and 12 endlers in it.