my albino bristlenose fry dead?????

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
hmmmm yesterday i did a water change i had about 30-40 fry in a cave with its male protecting them they are free swimming all was cool now this morning i looked cave empty alot of dead clear fry on bottom and maybe 4-5 alive???
i am not sure what i did wrong or this is common with bristlenose im new to breeding these... any help will be great thanks

they are in a 4 ft tank split into 4 and in the other 2 sections also caves with fry in it and the other with egg cluster all ok and 1 batch in a egg tumbler all ok the dividers have holes in them so water flows through all 4 sections...in same tank there is red cherry shimps growing im thinking of getting rid of them give me advice on them also please...

i cant work out why they would all die overnight only a few survived....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Which section got the water poured in?

Presuming dad was fine too?

How have the temps been and have you added extra aeration if warmer than usual due to summertime?

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
dad is fine i poured the water in ..the bay next to it i normally do the end to bays... u think maybe the chlorine in the water ???
plenty of airation cause running a filter in each bay similar to sponge filters but in the plastic containers with media in it...
i cant work it out :(

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
u think maybe the chlorine in the water ???
Did you add water ager/conditioner????

Had you warmed the water before adding it, or was it straight from the hose/tap???
How big of a water change?

Cherry Red Shrimp can handle quite dramatic water changes and adult bn's can handle it to a certain extent. But fry are a bit more fragile and need that bit more care taken.

I'm guessing at this stage that the water change you did was to extreme for the fry in the way of it being to large a water change, lack of water ager/conditioner, or the sudden temperature change. We can't say for sure and help you to make sure this doesn't happen with your next batch until you answer these questions.

Out of curiousity what are the eggs you are tumbling?

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
the eggs in tumbler was also a egg cluster that i found in middle of my tank from one of the pairs.. i said ill give it a go and so far every egg hatched and they are free swimming in egg tumbler :) probably about 20 of them
i think your right big water changed would have killed them cause i did the dam filters also same time which i shouldn't have .... trial and error i will learn

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
are you using the plastic corner filters? When they need a clean out, just fill up a bucket (one that has not been used with chemicals before) with water from your tank. Put the filter in there and wash it out in that water. You will be still be fine to put new filter wool in if you need to. Doing it this way will keep the good bacteria in the rest of the filter media and lessen the stress on your tank and it's inhabitants.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
you are right in thinking its not normal to have a fry loss like that . so sorry to hear about it. i agree the water is the most likely suspect, tell us more about your water?

if you use any tap water into your tanks (and should be at approx tank temp if fry/eggs in there) the add a good dechlorinator and chloramide remover, there are several good makes on the market but not sure which you can get local to you. and as said above , never clean fliter with tap water , only used tank water.

good luck with your babies.

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
As you have learned, fry are very sensitive, especially when changing water. If I have eggs or fry in a tank, I make sure that fresh water going into the tank is the exact same temp as the water in the tank. I also add the chemicals to the water before I put it in the tank. I use stress coat and another de-chlor. I always do this anyway, but I'm extra careful when eggs or fry are present. I always keep my tanks with eggs or fry in them at 80 degrees. Hope this helps!