My cory's never come out!

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
I have 6 Sterbai's for about a month now and I almost never see them. They sometimes come out to play in the bubble wall for about 2 seconds but then they either hide under the big driftwood or in the rock cave. I have a pretty heavily planted tank with large driftwood and rocks, so it's difficult to find them. Sometimes I can't even be sure that they're all still alive. I just did a pwc and I took out the driftwood so I was able to make a head count and they're all alive. The only time I see them is during and after a pwc. Is this normal? And how can you tell if they're ok if you can't see them? The first few days after I got them, they were out a lot and going up and down the glass...now nothing :dk:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
i would say drop temp as they like it more colder than hot
test your water
amonia
nitrate
nitrite
temp?
and alsowhat other fish stock your tank ?

sorry it just makes it easyer to help you with more info but with just what you provided ild say your water it hot

hope this helps
regards
Foti

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I keep a large number of different corys and I rarely see some of them. As long as when you do see them they look healthy I wouldn't worry too much. My shy corys are usually tempted out at feeding times so I'd try tempting them with something nice :)

Sterbai are one of the corys that like it warm making them good pleco companions so as long as the temp isn't extreme they should be fine.
Cheers
Gemma

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
The way i find to see corys is..... get more of them the bigger the shoal you can get for your tank size that is, the better corys are very sociable fish and do better in good size groups, i tend to keep my corys in groups of 12 or more

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Thank you for your responses. My tank is a fully planted 75g that's been up and running for 3 years now with 5 adult angelfish and 6 Sterbai's. I keep my temp between 80 and 81 degrees (about 27 celcius). My ammonia, nitrite and even nitrates are 0 ppm as I do weekly pwc's. I even changed my substrate to playsand for them with the hopes that I would see them more often. I guess they really like their hiding spots :). Last night I used a flashlight to see if they were out and they were indeed rooting around. I have been wanting to add some more cory's anyway, so maybe I'll do that. I just don't know if I should get 6 more Sterbai's or 6 Adolfoi. I have to be careful to get cory's that like temps that are a bit warmer because of my angelfish.

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Id stick to one particular breed of cory per tank, at that temp id get 6 more Sterbai then you will have lots of playful corys in the tank, mine line up perfectly at the front and are always playing around and laying eggs, ive had quite a lot of young now from them, really are one of the best corys around and usually not shy, other corys i have never really come out much the sterbai are the most boldest ones id of said