My L333 and L004 are very shy.

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
Hi Everyone

Since iv'e had my L333, probably 3-4months now, i have never seen my plecos come out for food. Or come out for anything at all. Iv'e noticed a few pictures of other peoples ones and they always seem to be out and about lol.

Am i doing something wrong here or what. My water stats are perfect for them, i have a bare bottom tank with just driftwood and caves in there with them.

Feeding is a issue aswell, because when i feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp ect, the otto power heads suck them up. I turn my filters off for about and 2-3 hours and turn the lights off in the room. But still they don't come out and do anything. I also have this issue in my L004 tank.

And ideas that you have. I know they are eating a little because they are still alive, but they must be only scavenging at like 3 in the moring or something lol.

Any help will be taken on board.

Cheers
Aiden

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
One option could be to cover the back, sides and bottom of tank so that they feel more secure, i remember this advice from somewhere else about a similar problem.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Usually if I see my plecs openly out, I know something dire is wrong with them. Hiding is a good thing.

To encourage them to come out to feed, put in some caves and slate or rocks across them. You can also do the same thing with driftwood. For some reason plecs like some cover over them. Maybe its a predator thing?

Yes if you are feeding something easily picked up in the current, you will have to turn the current off. I put a towel across the front early in the evening at the same time so they know thats the signal to get their butts out and feed because when its my bed time the filters get turned back on again and they miss out.

When its not a livefood feeding, I hand place pleco tabs in the low current areas like beside the caves. The plecs know where to find them.

Another idea is to put something like sword plants in front of the caves so you can only partially see the plecs and they have partial cover.

If you want to see them, get an overhead moon light and sit up really late at night with you moving as little as possible as any movement can send them back under cover.