My planted tanks

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,had some friends come over today.they said how good my tanks look.so i took some pics to share with u guys:whistle::

my edge.:thumbup: my mate said that i only just set the tank up.lol

75L looking good after a trim.:thumbup:
can some one tell me the name of the very long plants thats in front of my filter,growing from right to left? i have to trim this loads,it just keeps growing :yes:

Last edited:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Plants look great well done.

The Edge would work better for me if the wood with the fern was either on the left or the right so the tank flowed one way

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Plants look great well done.

The Edge would work better for me if the wood with the fern was either on the left or the right so the tank flowed one way
cheers xingu,but the wood is there cos of the filter.the flow,even on the lowest setting,stirs up the sand and makes a crater.the wood deflects the flow around the tank more.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very nice and stunning indeed. Maybe in the Edge as you cant move the wood, plant some tall plants like Val in the back left and right corners ? cheers jk :thumbup:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
i only planted 2 off them,i think,but now there popping up all over
I think the plant is probably Cryptocoryne crispulata 'Balansae' rather than Aponogeton crispus 'Red', because although they look really similar, I don't think the Aponogeton spreads, as it grows from a bulb rather than a rhizome.
Maybe in the Edge as you cant move the wood, plant some tall plants like Val in the back left and right corners ?
I'd put a taller plant in the Edge as well, or possibly some twiggy wood with moss or ferns on it. Aponogeton crispus would be a good shout for a taller plant that isn't too rampant and you have the added bonus of it flowering quite regularly.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi, got some vals in the edge now. But cos none off my LFS ever
have them I had to get them from eBay :(
But as normal not packaged very well. So I'm hoping they will live.
Heres some pics.tank is a bit cloudy cos of planting and water change:

I'm hoping they will grow and spread.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well as i guessed the vals have all but died..:cry:
there are 4 new leaves,bit crap coming from 5 plants..:wb:
the ebay seller said he would send more.
just hope there in better nick when and if i get them.

Derek

Apr 27, 2012
Edinburgh
I tried to grow vals recently but it went like yours and just died. I know they like the water on the harder side. Check out plants alive they are a mail order company. I have used them before maybe worth a look.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I tried to grow vals recently but it went like yours and just died. I know they like the water on the harder side. Check out plants alive they are a mail order company. I have used them before maybe worth a look.
nice one derek,ill have a look.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I must admit I haven't got any Vallis left now either, it really doesn't like rain-water, and slowly dwindles away.

In hard water it is a really good grower.

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
According to the water company our water supply is slightly hard water, never measured it myself.

I bought 3 bunches of vallis for £1.50 ages ago and the result is my current tank and I have removed a good carrier bag full at times and always having to cut it. Runners everywhere and if you pull the wrong piece can be like a row of knitting coming undone. In good conditions for vallis it can be a nightmare. In a small space like an edge I wouldn't have any because it can become such a strong plant and an edge is not really that accessible for sorting it out.

My tank is 5ft and it takes over.

I suppose if you really wanted vallis you could alter your water to suit it but I wouldn't really advise altering water or having vallis in an edge.

Having a read of info on the internet having soft water you want slow growing plants that wont remove any more minerals so perhaps look at plants for soft water in particular by doing a bit research first. Maybe don't go for the obvious to cover up an area of the tank, get what will suit the water type. Further reading does suggest having lots of plants in soft water can be dangerous as the water is already ph unstable so might be worth adding minerals then you would be able to have your vallis providing you can be bothered with the potential maintenance.

If anything I just wrote makes sense? Doesn't make quite sense to myself but never mind.

Last edited: