My Zebra Blog

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Hi, I am embarking on a new project to set up a tank for L046 Zebra Plecos and, hopefully, eventually breed them. I already have 4 other freshwater tropical tanks, one with discus, so am feeling comfortable now with setting up tanks.

I am certainly no expert but I am currently blogging my progress and thought I would share the link here http://zebral046project.blogspot.com.au/ in case anyone was interested to follow it.

Cheers

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very reort and nice set up indeed. Jow many L046 do you wish to have at the end ? Do you have an airstone ? cheers jk :thumbup:

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Yep have a big airstone

Hi Bigbird

Thanks for your positive response. Always a little nervous on these things to show what I'm up to :cry:

Yes I have a really big airstone ready to go, I'm just waiting on my black airline tubing to get it up and running. It's 15cm diameter and a flat dome shape, it's hidden amongst my yingshi rocks. It's the biggest one I have ever had in a tank so am really looking forward to seeing it at work.

I'm starting with 6 juevenilles and fingers crossed I'll get some mixed sexes and they all survive to breeding age. I am getting them from different sources to ensure a mix in bloodline.

I have the first two coming next month, very excited :woohoo:

Thanks again

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Thanks

Thanks Zebra Pleco, yes that is what I have heard. It will be lovely if they breed, no matter how many years down the track. But more importantly I want to keep them for myself, their tank is in my lounge room so will be pride of place

Cheers

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Dither fish for the tank...

I've just got in some dither fish to start up the tank, I already have had some red cherry shrimp having a party on their own in the tank for about a week. I now have 6 black neons (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) as they like a healthy water current and swim in the mid to upper regions of the tank. They are larger and faster than the neon tetra, which is actually a different species of tetra, and cope with the higher water temp and enjoy currents.

After much research I settled upon 2 Corydoras Oiapoquensis (flag tailed panda cory) named for the river they are native to; The Oyapock, in French Guiana. These corys are completely different except in appearance than the regular panda corys, they are more suited to the higher temp and like the turbulence of high oxygenated waters. As this is where they are found in nature, upstream of the rapids after the Oiapoque River (Oyapock in Brazil), the natural border between French Guiana and Brazil.

So far the black neons and flag tailed panda corys are very active and love playing in the water current. I have another 6 tetra and 2 more corys arriving next week. The tank has cycled very quickly due to the seeding of biomedia I took from my discus tank. However, I'm still being cautious and only adding a few fish at a time.

Cheers

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Be careful how many more bottom feeders you add as the zebra pleco doesn't actually like to compete for food. They will back off and you might end up with skinny zebras and fat corydoras.

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Thanks

Hi Brengun, thanks for that advice. Yes I have read this, I will definitely be watching out if this combination will work. I know of some that do and some that don't keep corys with their zebs. I will be keeping a careful watch and happy to move the corys if required. Thanks again, any tips welcome :clap:

Cheers

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
So excited! My first two zebs have arrived safe n sound :)

Picked them up from the airport and they were acclimatised yesterday to their new tank, very excited to wake up this morning and see they are still alive and well and had found each other through the night. Early days yet but so far I am very pleased with their health so far, hopefully I can keep them this good...

If you want to check out pics click on blog link below, haven't quite figured out how to post pics on here yet but I will eventually...

Cheers

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Thanks Irene, looks like you have had success breeding Zebs by looking at some of your posts. I'm a few years away yet, but will certainly be reading up when the time comes :)

Cheers

Hooked

Oct 12, 2013
Australia
Hi AJ,
It's a great blog with excellent pics. I too am biding my time till I can get some Zebs so will be following with interest. : )

Cheers

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
Phew! Two months on and zebs still alive and kicking... I know that shouldn't really be surprising but it's nice when such expensive fish do settle well into a tank you especially made for them. A very nice feeling. I've even been enjoying a private show over Christmas of my zebs doing some fancy swimming and parachuting over the spray bar, clearly having fun! Was so exciting to watch, even during daylight hours, just sat and watched them for ages :)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
:clap: glad all is going well so far and yes lots of fun indeed when you observe and watch them. Cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Looking at your blog photos I would say you have a pair and yes females do stay quite small.
The increased feeding and playing activity means they are thinking about maybe breeding.
I think it won't be long before he chooses a cave and she moves in for a sleep over.
She may not breed straight away, they seem as if they have to have a few goes before they get it right.
Put a piece of slate over the side of the cave so she can hang out beside him under relative cover.

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
End of breeding project ...

Hi all,

I have updated my blog with probably my last update. Unfortunately I have had to pull down my breeding tank and abandon my project... I still have my zebs but they have been re-located to my discus tank. Unfortunately the tank just would not work for me and I could no longer watch them living in unclean conditions despite ALL my constant work to clean it!

Turns out I don't have what it takes to dedicate my time to breeding zebs after all, I envy all those that do but my life is just a bit too busy to continually clean and clean and clean with no good results. I couldn't justify adding any new zebs to those conditions and hope that my original two survive their new tank and are able to compete well for food. To be honest I don't doubt they will, they are feisty little things and hardier than given credit for.

If you are interested in having a read, take a look at the blog, it's not really going to help want-to-be breeders too much except perhaps reading about what not do do :dk: http://zebral046project.blogspot.com.au/