Need help ID'ing a pleco I saw in a LFS (Newish to plecos, no photo unfortunately)

Shock

Jan 13, 2012
Rhode Island
I was at my LFS today when I saw a pleco they just got in a few hours earlier. It was pure white with thin brown maze like stripes all over it's body. They worker had no clue what kind of fish it was, they were going to be looking it up.

I originally thought maybe some kind of zebra pleco, but it's far too large. The fish was about six to nine inches long. I unfortunately don't have a picture, but do any of you have an idea? The only pleco experience I have is with my bristlenose.

I'm really interested in the pleco, but I want to make sure I can take care of it before I purchase it or inquire into it's price (I imagine it costs a ton).

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello and welcome.

It does get difficult with no photo. Maybe if you look at the forum profiles for Panaque, they get to 50cm plus sometimes. Most hypans are white and brown or black. Sorry but try for a photo. cheers jk :thumbup:

Shock

Jan 13, 2012
Rhode Island
I ended up going back to the lfs I liked the plecos so much. There's two of them in the tank. In the links are two pictures I managed to snap.

Unfortunately they're no where near as white as I thought they were, I still really like them though. Sending this from my mobile phone so it might be a bit off

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Yup, Common. Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus.
Get large (app. 14") and will turn darker. The light coloration is due to stress or water conditions being sub optimal. Normally greyish with darker grey/black.

Last edited:

Shock

Jan 13, 2012
Rhode Island
Thanks, that's somewhat disappointing. I really liked the coloring, but obviously it wouldn't work out. Thanks for your help. Now I'm wanting to find a tank big enough for a snow king though.