Need help with tank friends

Wulf

Jan 17, 2012
Canberra
Hi All,

I have a pair of Angels, a pair of BN, a school of neons (16) and 3 clown loaches in my 980T. Oh and a blind Red Zebra cichlid (has cataracts) who is totally black due to mistreatment by some guy. I have to hand feed him :(. He is 14cm and doesn't really venture around as he is blind. (can post a pic)

The Angels are just about to lay their 3rd lot of eggs (ate the last 2, which I read is normal). The BN have laid one set of eggs, they hatched but all disappeared... I assume eaten.

I have just purchased a fry catcher so that will solve that issue.

Questions are: Do I have too much? Should I remove the eggs the angels lay on the plants to a fry catcher? Are my Clown Loaches the main problem with eating the fry?

I also want to get some Lo66's but not sure if they will work in this tank. Or if I add them, whether they will be too much?

Ph - 7-7.3, temp 28, everything else is at perfect reading, tank has been going with these guys for 16 months.

ps. the neons and angels grew up together and the angels do not even peck at them (for those concerned, i know you're out there!)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

Ok you have approx 240 liters . Minus 15% for decorations and gravel.
Now just my views on this
1. If you want angels to breed, get them a seperate tank. Even a fry saver will only be so good till they reach a small size.
2. Neons / tetras are excellent fry hunters.
3. The loaches will get very big and this tank will be too small for them
4. The BN and eggs and hatched fry, I presume died if they ddid not get the proper diet and care. Next time place the cave with the father in the fry saver with an airstone then you can control feeding for the fry
5. Yes we are out there, I would not put neons with Angels, irrespective of how they are in the tank. Can you do it yes, is it fair no.
6. Sorry for your blind fish but great that you are taking time to feed it. Maybe alsi try with a bamboo skewer to feed, saves your hands getting wet.
7. I would only get the L066 if you get rid of the loaches and BN. They have different diet requirements, BN needs more veggies and L066 are omnivores, so more protein and meatier diet.
cheers jk :thumbup:

Wulf

Jan 17, 2012
Canberra
advice

Thanks for the advice.

I just noticed that my male BN has been attacked? He is missing a chunk from near his dorsal fin, and also looks to have been bitten all over the bottom area underneath. Why would the female be doing this?

He is so bad that i could literally pick him up from the bottom of the tank and he hardly moved... i placed him in a cave with some food and left only a tiny gap for entry.

Or could this have been the loaches? But I did notice the female BN chasing him heaps?!

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
put him in the fry saver with the cave , add and air stone and add the twin fixess - Pimafix and Melafix. I hope he makes it. Are you sure it was the female ? maybe she is just gravid and wanted to lay or it was the loaches. cheers and good luck jk :thumbup:

Wulf

Jan 17, 2012
Canberra

Yeah I am totally not sure if it was the female or not.. it could have been the loaches. They are only about 4-5cm and the BN are 8-10cm.

I will add him when I get home tonight.

Pimafex and Melafix? are they chemicals you get from the LFS?

Wulf

Jan 17, 2012
Canberra
do'h

Well bad news.. I came home today and found him dead with half his face eaten off. The female was hanging around the area.

guess she didn't like him....

Oh well, maybe I will buy some pleco's now as I have a sole f BN.