Need more info please

rose grace 25

May 2, 2013
waiuku, auckland
Hi :hi:
Sorry to ask but i am a beginner and need a hand i have a 7yr old common male
And would like to know. . .
How often and what amount should i be feeding him?.
What kind of meat could he have?.
Because he is 7yr old what would be the best diet for him?.

Would realy like to know just incase i could be doing more for him. :yes: many thanks to anyone that will help.:thumbup:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
What common do you have? Bristlenose and "pleco" are often thrown together with the name common. If its a single adult BN the amount of food will very very different from what a large P. pardalis would consume,( that's the sp that's often referred to as common pleco).

They are not generally meat eaters, they will scavenge dead fish or take an opportunity to consume whatever they can, when they are young they love algae but as they grow they are pretty much omnivorous with vegetarian leanings.

If he/she has lived for 7 years keep feeding what you are feeding amount wise.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
They do love fresh washed, pesticide free veggies too. I use zucchini, nok Chou, pumpkin, sweet potatoe/yam especially the orange/gold types, lettuce etc. just don't leave it in the tank for too long as it can get pretty nasty. I usually put it in during the afternoon and remove any leftovers the following morning.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Me again, just found your intro post, so it's a big boy then. Ignore my comments about BN and feed him (or her) accordingly for a large fish. Still going to have vegie tendencies though.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
try green beans and peas (with skin off) -if you are feeding too much you will find left over food around. if you give him a nice chunk of courgette/zuchini every couple of days he can graze what he needs without excess food polluting the tank.
enjoy watching him chew on it.

rose grace 25

May 2, 2013
waiuku, auckland
thank u guys!

Thank u for the info. The only reson i ask is because ihav just recently got him and since he 7 i dont want him to pas away. He is a disjunctivus. And measured him last night he is 1.4ft haha. And is a big boy iam guesing any other things i should be feeding him?:)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, commons love fresh mushrooms. Dig out the stem and black inside part and let it float... commons will go to the top to get to it and it is good exercise for him. You may get a treat and be able to watch him if you try it in the day. Also, fresh spinach, raw red bell pepper and as suggested above peas (frozen , nuke for 1 min, cool, pinch off the clear outter shell )and drop in the tank, they sink . This helps to keep his intestines cleaned out in case he eats too much protien. Once a week or every 2 weeks with the peas should be fine. All the above food mentioned is good for your common, they dig raw veggies. Good luck with him and keep us informed :)