Need some breeding advice

EvilPunkLlama

Jun 4, 2009
www.bubblenestbettas.com
Hey all! I'm a bit new to breeding plecos, but I would really like to give it a shot! I just have a few questions for you guys!

- I'm getting 6 unsexed red marble long fin bristlenose Juvis. they are around 1-1 1/2 inches right now i believe. How old/big to they need to be before they can be sexed?

-How old/big do they need to be before they reach breeding maturity?

-What is a good tank set up for them?

-Can I have other fish with them, of is it best to leave them alone if Im planning to breed them?

-And is a 20gal long tank big enough for a breeding trio?

Thanks in advance guys!

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Hey all! I'm a bit new to breeding plecos, but I would really like to give it a shot! I just have a few questions for you guys!

- I'm getting 6 unsexed red marble long fin bristlenose Juvis. they are around 1-1 1/2 inches right now i believe. How old/big to they need to be before they can be sexed?

Is that 1-1/2" total length or body length? With long-fins this can make an appretiable difference.

-How old/big do they need to be before they reach breeding maturity?

-What is a good tank set up for them?
BNs are bred in all types of setups - bare-bottom/gravel, wood/slate caves, high flow/low flow. With BNs it seems more important to have a compatible pair and adequate caves and they pretty much take care of things themselves.

-Can I have other fish with them, of is it best to leave them alone if Im planning to breed them?
Its generally best to keep the breeding fish by themselves though surface & mid-water oriented fish won't bother them. What you'd like to avoid are other fish that might distract/bother them &/or compete for food or caves.

-And is a 20gal long tank big enough for a breeding trio?
Yes whould be fine.

Thanks in advance guys!

See comments above.
Also, take a look at these articles:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=314&title=<em>Ancistrus</em>+101The+Basics
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=328&title=<em>Ancistrus</em>+101Spawning+Techniques+and+Fry+Rearing

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
As lornek said really.
Iv found other fish help to keep your fish insight.
Bristlenose in generall are simple to sex, and maturity develops around the 7cm SL mark (7cm not including the finnage) a sign of maturity is when a male develops a red blotch or mark just behind the head.
Im using a gravel tank for my longfins but would preffered to have gone with a BB as its easier to clean.
Fry are somthing you have to take into account if you plan on removing them vs leaving them with the parents, if your planning to remove them i would make the tank quite basic, if your leaving them no problem.
placing the caves faced at the flow of the current is proven to be benificial, providing oxygen to the eggs giving dad a bit of a break.
Also allowing for you to see into the caves so you can monitor the eggs growth.
HTH

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
i agree with all of that.
I would add that i think they prefer a softer, slightly acid water like most BNs. So if you live in a Hard water area you may like to collect rain water or RO water.
good luck and post us some pics.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
are all the bn you are getting from the same spawn?
if so, it would pay to source some others too so you can keep the bloodlines cleaner

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
I saw rabbits quote
placing the caves faced at the flow of the current is proven to be benificial, providing oxygen to the eggs giving dad a bit of a break.

Could you maybe help clarify to me what you mean, it sounds like the first option below

So if the flow is going out, you want that stream to go into the cave a little, in line with each other

or

the flow is going out, you want the front of the to catch the current a little and in a way form a T with the current.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Hey Young1nj
The first one.
You basicaly want the cave to face the flow this will help with dissolved oxygen over the eggs so dad dosnt have to fan so hard, and will keep your cave free of debri.
Its said by many that the cave on this angle is often the one chosen by male whether that is due to the above reasons im not sure.
HTH

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
Hey Young1nj
The first one.
You basicaly want the cave to face the flow this will help with dissolved oxygen over the eggs so dad dosnt have to fan so hard, and will keep your cave free of debri.
Its said by many that the cave on this angle is often the one chosen by male whether that is due to the above reasons im not sure.
HTH

Thanks rabbit

I guess i didn't totally understand what they meant when they said this. I just turned around a cave in my 213 tank..maybe it will entice some breeding..if i have a female in there.