New oddballs

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Got a couple of new fish in the past week.

Hujeta gar. Very pleased with this, eating dry food already!

Callichthys callichthys

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
nice pics, that second fish looks wicked :yes:

thought you were moving back into hypans though ;)

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I believe i have a pair of the callichthys. The female is the one in the pic, the male has a thickened pectoral ray and its orange

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Always liked the Hujeta Gars after seeing Judazzz's, were did you get them from if you dont mind me asking steve?

I

intrepidmax

Oh Noooooooo hujeta pike/gar easily the worst fish I ever kept. I had to get rid of mine. He wouldn't eat anything except live fish and a prawn (if it was moving) sometimes I would get a little bit of string and attach it to the tail of the prawn and make it look like it was moving. total nightmare. (I had the same problems with all my jardini arrowanas)

since yours is currently eating dry food then It might be fine. I did have mine eating dry 4 times. but he kept going on hunger strikes until he had live food.

they are great looking fish but not one I personally would ever keep again.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Always liked the Hujeta Gars after seeing Judazzz's, were did you get them from if you dont mind me asking steve?
Yeah me too. Got it from Ferrybridge aquatics, only had the one. Nice shop for oddball though, cheap too.
Oh Noooooooo hujeta pike/gar easily the worst fish I ever kept. I had to get rid of mine. He wouldn't eat anything except live fish and a prawn (if it was moving) sometimes I would get a little bit of string and attach it to the tail of the prawn and make it look like it was moving. total nightmare. (I had the same problems with all my jardini arrowanas)

since yours is currently eating dry food then It might be fine. I did have mine eating dry 4 times. but he kept going on hunger strikes until he had live food.

they are great looking fish but not one I personally would ever keep again.
had it six days now and has eaten dry food every day. Earthworm sticks seem to be relished.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Yeah me too. Got it from Ferrybridge aquatics, only had the one. Nice shop for oddball though, cheap too.
Ive saw alot of ads on AQ for them and looks like a decent shop.

I was around your way last wednesday looking for an aquatics but the satnav was just taking me to a random road in the middle of nowhere lol

You'll have to keep us updated on the Gar, I'd be interested to see how he gets on.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Its just called Harrogate aquatics i think, I was just after some plants and was told that it was pretty good.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Judazzz used to have some awsome set ups, wonder what he's upto these days...

It was. its slipped a bit imo
I'm down Leeds agian in a couple of weeks so will probably check it out if i can find it. Might pop into York Maidenhead for a couple of royals too while im down.