New to forum with some pleco questions

Fishfun

Feb 22, 2014
Nebraska
I have a 45 gallon fishtank with 6 African Cichlids (all about 2-3 inches long) and one 5 inch pleco. I'm not sure what kind it is but I got it from my local fish store. The tank has been established for about 8 months and has had the pleco in there for about 2. I feed my cichlids pellets and have algae wafers for the pleco. My problem is that even when I put the algae wafers in after the light is off at night to try to feed when the pleco is more active, the wFers get gobbled up by the other fish. I'm worried the pleco is t getting enough food mainly because parts of it seem to be lightening in color. I'm hopefully going to try feeding some blanched zucchini or cucumbers but worry the pleco won't get a shot to eat those either. I'll attach the best photo I could get of my pleco to see if anyone can identify any obvious health problems. Please let me know if anyone has any feeding tips for pleco a in community tanks especially with African cichlids. My tank is well maintained with good water parameters, filtration, and a weekly 25% water change. I just want to provide a healthy environment for all of my fish! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hi and welcome. mixing of african and american fish is never a good idea in my view and has long term bad items for one or the other. The problem is that the african fish are fast and they eat everything that comes to them including the algae wafers etc. I would look closely at your pleco and see if his stomach is full or flat. If you feed at lights out, then the africans are still active searching for food. I would wait 3-4hours after lights out before feeding the pleco. He might also find leftovers behind rocks, wood etc to keep him/her going. Like I said, look at his stomach and that will be your indicator. Good luck cheers jk :thumbup: