ok, help?!

bblove124

Dec 1, 2010
cranston ri
Alright, for starters, I have no idea what kind of pleco I have. I know its not a zebra, cause those are kinda easy to figure out but I wanna know if it a common or whatever. And if its a boy or girl. I've had it for 6 months and I still have no idea. So please help.:dk:

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
it looks like its a Common. Either Pterygoplichthys Pardalis or P. Disjunctivus. P Pardalis has a spotted belly. Either way they can both get pretty good size, 14 inches or better, and can produce an equally large amount of waste so good filtration is in order. Petstores sell alot of them without telling buyers of their potential size full grown. As far as being male or female. They are notorious for being hard to sex. Its a little easier to tell when they get closer to maturity. From your pictures, I cant tell.:dk: Hope this helps out a little. :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well he/she has a lot of growing to do yet, and will need a big tank. they are not a type you can tank breed, so if you want to breed plecs try some smaller species.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
they are very hard to sex, even when they are mature. People dont tend too try to sex them either as they dont plan to breed them, i always say just go with your gut feeling, if you refer to it as a he, then i'd just think of it as a he

bblove124

Dec 1, 2010
cranston ri
Now I know this isn't the health forum but he's been getting pale and when he's on the floor of the tank he like starts to float. This has happened before but it stopped... Does anyone know what's goin on?