Patterns on common bn

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
I was in Pet Barn over the weekend picking up some food and I had a quick look at their fish stock and almost took home some common bns.

They had some really nice patterns on them. One I spotted had a beautiful pattern on its belly similar to that of a Gold Spot Plec and down it's tail.
Another had a contrasting pattern of light and dark patches over its head and body.
Are these a kind of variation in commons? or do they just happen to be very pretty?
The light and dark one was a little too small to see any bristles, but if it was a definite boy, I wouldn't have been able to help myself.
I may be oooooing and aaaahing over nothing but I've just never seen commons look so fascinating!

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
I went back this afternoon and bought one. :woohoo:
He was just as impressive today as he was the other day so I couldn't help myself. I'm trying to get a picture but he's been having some arguments with my female and his colours aren't great. Still going crazy exploring at the moment.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
The Bn normally sold in most LFS is a bit of a mix including farmed fish, tank reared & bred fish and wild caught, over the years this has resulted in some what of a Holy Grail for people obsessed with identification.
The patens and thus genetic linage are now so diverse among species of the genus that are sold and breed in the west that no one species can be defined as a true Heliotype.
The other controlling factor or lack of controlling factor is that now these fish are not subject to the laws of nature ie the strong shall dominate the weak the smart shall exploit the stupid, they have developed patens that serve no purpose apart from pleasing us.

Myself I AWAIT THE FANTAIL BUG EYED ALBINO RED HEAD VEIL TAILED BLACK MOOR BRISTLE NOSE.
Game on
I DO WONDER HOW THE pc BRIGADE WOULD REACT IF WE BREED HUMANS LIKE THIS?

Oh I forgot we did it was called slavery and was active for many years before we convinced the people of the UK it was not a good thing