Peppermints sexing please

Kangus

May 4, 2009
Gosford, NSW
Hi all,

here is a pic of our peps, they are approx 20 months old. I think maybe no. 2 is a female but not sure :dk: Sorry its the best pic i could get with our camera. Anyone want to have a go at sexing them please?

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
with this pic i would say its hard to to pick m or f 100% sorry

i know what its like as i remember posting to figure out my six

good luck if you can try get pics from the side of nose

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
mate all i could say is both males and females get bristles females when young get 2 on there lip and some when older get them around there lip only the males get them up there nose that is the best and sure way to sex

if your looking to breed them separate 1m and 1f the bigest of them all put them with 3 caves then feed well and keep water clean

best of luck

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
ok im gonna tell you all how to 100% sex your peppermints....

so listen up...!!!!

grab your fish in your hand and rub top of their nose....

soft and squishy = male

firm and rough = female (feels like the skin moves over a hard plate)

the only way you can get this wrong is from your own incompetence...

you can sex peppies at 5-6cm using this also but sometimes you may get one that will fool you...

but at 20 months of age there is no margin for error....

So kangas go get your fish out and have a feel of their noses and report back to this thread with your findings......

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

and then you can tell us which no's are male or female.... :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia
They look like the fish I sold you as fry about a year and a half ago! Lol
Big Johnno's method is the go. Usually you can see easily which are male but the female's can be less mature males. I think you will have some females in that lot

Kangus

May 4, 2009
Gosford, NSW
ok im gonna tell you all how to 100% sex your peppermints....

so listen up...!!!!

grab your fish in your hand and rub top of their nose....

soft and squishy = male

firm and rough = female (feels like the skin moves over a hard plate)

the only way you can get this wrong is from your own incompetence...

you can sex peppies at 5-6cm using this also but sometimes you may get one that will fool you...

but at 20 months of age there is no margin for error....

So kangas go get your fish out and have a feel of their noses and report back to this thread with your findings......

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

and then you can tell us which no's are male or female.... :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
hey Jonno, thanks for the post mate. In the next week or so when i have a chance i will get them out and have a go, cheers

Kangus

May 4, 2009
Gosford, NSW
Well, i caught them and rubbed their noses lol (they weren't real in to it) and it appears there are 4 males and one i have to catch yet which could go either way doh!

so anyone have any female pepps for sale ?