Picky Phantom

parrotfish100

Aug 21, 2010
CA
I recently bought a Green Phantom from my LFS and its being a very picky eater. I haven't seen it go after any wafers I throw in the tank and I need to know if anyone has any tips or tricks to get it to eat. I want to feed it a variety of foods and was looking at the vegetable list. Any recommendations as to what veggies are best for this one?

Oh, I did ask how long they had the current Phantoms in the store and they said about 3 weeks, came in very healthy.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i use zucchinni as a base food... cut an end piece and give them maximum surface area to eat it... mine eat the skin only....
change it daily......
and try some daphnia every now and then.... and ocassionaly some frozen shrimp or bloodworms.... but only occasionally... i steer away from algae wafers on the more expensive plecs..... i dont trust them... i lost a couple plecs years ago to a dodgy wafer.....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
How long have you had the phantom exactly?
What are your water parameters including the temp?
What are the other tankmates in the tank?

My L200 likes the skin on courgette too

parrotfish100

Aug 21, 2010
CA
How long have you had the phantom exactly?
What are your water parameters including the temp?
What are the other tankmates in the tank?

My L200 likes the skin on courgette too
I have had it about a week and it looks like it cleaned out the wafer I put in last night. Temp in the tank is a steady 78 degrees F. Its with 2 German Blue Rams, 2 Clown Loaches, a few platies and 2 guppies.

Its extremely shy, I have never seen a pleco so reclusive before.

I just went and bought frozen peas, green beans, 2 varieties of fresh squash and a cucumber to try.

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I expect it is still adjusting to its new home. you will see it more when its settled.
it shuld like those veggies! dont forget to take the skin off the peas.