Please confirm these sexes for me

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for looking. I am pretty sure these three peppermint bristlenose are females & want to check 100% in case I sell them.
Although there is slightly forked bristles they appear gravid & orange around the vent. Is this always an indication?
Can I tell 100% by the head shape?
Thanks so much

Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3

Last edited:

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
IMO i would consider 123456 pics to be young immature males judging by rhe forks on the end of the bristles females have small if not any bristles naybe one or two non forking ones behing the nostril

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
just check top of nose for any bristles.. female pepps quite often get bristles out front - depending on the bloodline... i always try to pursue females with no bristles out front to breed from... to promote easier identification of female fry when they grow up... too many people trying to pass male pepps off for females!!!!

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thank you both. I just labelled the photos a bit better.
I was of the opinion females can get slightly forked bristles & there are none on the top of the nose.
Out of the colony of 20 something I examined these appeared to be some of the most gravid & had really swollen orange vents so that's why I am slightly confused.
These fish are all at least 2-3 years old too

Last edited:

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Peps can often be a bit tricky to sex because of the bristles. I find the best way is to run your thumb (wet obviously) down along the top of their nose. Soft and squishy is male, females not squishy ;)
They're a pretty decent size so i wouldn't be surprised if they were females.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks again. Their noses are all hard.
Was I seeing things because I swear I saw an egg inside the vent of #3 when I held her?
Do the male get that orange colour like the females because none of my males looked like that. Thank you :)