Please ID this Hypan

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
I got some young plecos over a year ago and i have a oddball amongst them, please give me your thoughts on the pleco, i think L129 myself

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
The fish is jet black it's just a tad stressed from being put in a show tank and photographed, I'd guess it would be around 2yrs old, I think L129 and female at that. It was bred by the the pleco genius Bob who is unfortunately no longer with us. Of someone knew what else bob had kept that may unlock its identity.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Rob, he definitely had L129 a couple of years ago, and that looks about right for your fish.

Bob had a number of scribble plecs that he didn't know what they were. He also tended to breed a fish and unless he particularly liked them then sell them and get something else.

He thought that a lot of the Lower Rio Xingu plecs were part of the same species complex, and just had ended up with different L numbers (with each L number really only applying to the single fish photographed). Bob told me that Neil (from the Pier) thought the same thing.

Having said that he also had fish labelled as Hypancistrus "Gurupa" so it might possibly be one of these. I don't think it is L316 because its eyes are too big.

cheers Darrel

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Thanks Darrel my thoughts were for L129 also I just wanted someone to agree and if someone knew that bob kept them all the better, just got to find her a new home now as I don't keep L129s she's still in with the L136c

Thanks

windy

Apr 24, 2009
cardiff
i would go for L129 - L340
might be one from a group we bought from pier as L340 a few years ago myself bob and gee bought some each
ive had hypan gurupa's and its not one of them

hope this helps rob

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
might be one from a group we bought from pier as L340 a few years ago myself bob and gee
That sounds likely, Gee gave me some offspring from his L129/340 a couple of years ago, and they look pretty similar to Rob's, and are "L129", rather than "L340", assuming that L129/L340 aren't just colour variations of H. deblittera.

cheers Darrel