Please sex fighting zebs

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I have 4 zebs left in a 3ft tank and they declared war. There used to be 8 but 2 died in the heatwave when my airstones shutdown, one got eaten in a cave and one little one just clean disappeared.

Now I know the main male and I thought I had a fat female but this fattie has been terrorising the tank today. Even guppies copped it if they went near the log. Two other zebs including the male got a trashing and the littlest one just stayed right out of it.

Tell me I haven't got 4 males again! :wb::cry:

Main male is 8cm. Three pics of him.

This one I thought was female. The belly is big enough and its also 8cm but it gave the 8cm main male a real touch up today. Got 5 pretty good pics.

This one is 7cm and scratched up. Got 4 pics for it.

Did I say the little 6.5cm stayed right out of it? I found it in the prime log everyone was fighting over! Five photos for it.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Hmmmm that changes things a bit then. Thinking sell the 4 zebs and what can I put in the 3ft tank then?
Make a great little grow out tank for my L333 juvies. They are getting a bit big for a frysaver now.
Thanks for that everyone. :)

dog

Oct 9, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm gonna disagree with all of you on this one...
Fish no 2 is female IMO, the vent is very short and rounded, not at all pointed like the others - most hypans have pointy vents on males and stumpy rounded ones on females.
The second fish also has a more pointed nose and less bulky head overall.

Sorry guys to buck the trend...

f0bb0y

Mar 31, 2010
australia
i think
fish No.1 is a male and a half
fish No.2 is a fat male
fish No.3 (7cm) is a female
fish No.4 sorry im stuck with this one.

Last edited:

loganberriez

Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne
IMO
1. male
2. female
3.female
4. male
when they get to 7cm-ish, they know its a male when u look at them cos more obvious re head shape and odontode hairs.
eg. no4 is the smallest but its quiet obviously a male, no 2 and 3 are larger and therefore should show the same characteristics as no4 but they don't.