PLEASE SEX MY L333

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
HI JUST GOT THESE PAIR OF L333 RECENTLY WAS SOLD TO ME AS A MALE AND FEMALE PAIR BUT I'M NOT SO SURE THE NICE LOOKING ONE IS 9CM AND WAS TOLD TO BE A MALE THE DULL LOOKING ONE IS 8CM AND WAS TOLD FEMALE . THE 9CM IS ALWAYS IN THE CAVE . CAN EVERYONE PLEASE HELP SEX THEM THANKS:hi:
PIC 1 THE PAIR TOGETHER
PIC 2 THE 9CM ONE
PIC 3 THE 8CM ONE
PIC 4 THE 8CM ONE
PIC 5 THE 9CM ONE

Attachments

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
Hi brengun do u mean the 9 cm is a girl was told it was a boy and it is always in the cave so I thought that was the boy the 9cm one is round around the stomach area I really hope they are a pair I really want to try to breed them do u or anyone can give me some tips on breeding them
Thanks

jawist

Oct 13, 2009
Parramatta Sydney NSW
L333 sexing

hi all
i tend to agree with brengun the last pik
caving or not looks a beautiful female
may b she looking for a male to trap her in there ???
hence the caving just a thought :hi:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
sorry guys i disagree i think they are both most likely males.....

the smaller duller fish has a huge first ray in its pec fins and after enlarging the pics you can see hairs on the pectorial fins... on both fish....

to be certain i think we'll need a side on pic to see the cheek odontodes

and an underneath picture to vent them.... with good focus...

then we can be more certain...

bigger fish looks like it has a deformity but im hoping its just the angle and the picture

Last edited:

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
Thanks for everyone's opinions I will try to get some better picture of them on the side and bottom my phone camera is not good enough I will need to borrow my gf digital camera to take them will add pic to this post
Once again thank you everyone

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
"bigger fish looks like it has a deformity" john i have to agree !
nobody should be breeding snub nosed cats nor should people be selling them!

i wish you all the best i hope you decide to do the right thing

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
il try find a pic for you
its when the nose is twisted down or to an angle like what your 333 looks to have?
it tends to occur when inbreeding the L.no plec or which ever such as bristlenose
its a deformity
if its breed it could be passed through to the offspring
so most breeders who get 1 in a clutch will cull it or iv seen one guy place a post to giving one away as its still a nice fish as disply only!

so if its a deformity snub noise ild say get your money back
or
keep it as a display fish dont breed it

but hey i could be wrong please ask someone else as im sure others might not agree?

you could be lucky and the guy dropped it when it was young and its not deformed through genetics

but i dont think it could be that

sky

Jun 20, 2011
Adelaide
I don't think I can ask for my money back because is it not the buyers responsibility to look for deformity I did remember when the guy sold me the bigger one he gave me the cave with the fish in it I didn't pay much attention to it til u pointed it out. That really suck I paid alot of money for these fish

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
it is my view however that it is the sellers responsibility to also point this out to the buyer. I would contact the seller and ask them or look through your mails etc for the point of sale conditions. cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I bought some L201's and as little 3cm fellas they looked ok. Its only once they got a little bigger than 2 of them showed a bit of nose snubbing.
Now as adults, the rest look normal in every way, one's snubbing (female I think) is barely noticeable probably because females have a shorter nose anyway and the male snub is really snubbed.

I will not breed with the male at all full stop. He will be given away to some deserving soul one day as a display fish or to someone who wants to try keeping an L number and just isn't quite game to actually buy one in case they kill it.

The female atm is still under review as she completes maturity. I think she may have gotten away with it but if not, she will be given away too, just not to the same person with the male lol. (actually on looking at their last lot of photos, they may both be male. Sweet!)

Pics of each a few months ago.

Still nice fish but just don't breed with em. :)

Last edited:

iaw

Jun 2, 2011
Penrith
One thing about the pairs of L333 you have they look really great , and I knowv nothing abot L333 only the Zebras so fantastic.

I Hope for your sake that they turn out to be pairs.

Ian