Please sex my L333

fishbowl

May 14, 2009
Sydney
Hi can you please help sex my L333. It's the largest out of my colony which is over 2 years old at 8cm long. Both photos are of the same fish.
Thanks in advance

fishbowl

May 14, 2009
Sydney
Hi Stan, thank you for your response. The funny thing is that this particular fish caves the most out of the whole colony, which made me think it could be a male?
Please if anyone can let me know if there's any other features to look out for, to separate the genders as I'd like to see what ratio I have in the rest of the colony.

Last edited:

fishbowl

May 14, 2009
Sydney
Thanks Stan. I've been reading a few articles, and both males, and females cave.
Could any one else try, and sex this L333. Greatly appreciate the assistance.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
looking at the photos I would say female. At that length, if it were a male it would show hairs on the tail. You are also correct both sexes cave. Cheers jk :thumbup:

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
sorry to interupt ur post fishbowl, i've recently purchased some L333's myself and was wondering the same thing.

bigbird, does that mean that even if you have multiple males, they all will show hair if they are above 7-8cm? in the presence of the alpha male? (sorry all I know is that L134 males can be mistaken as females since they have the ability to not show odontodes when theres an alpha male in same tank.)

cheers for reply

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I would look not only for the presence of hair on the tail. Males heads when mature look wide and sharp and boofy. Females are narrower at the width with a more rounder look about it. You know the old females have nice curves in humans, also applies to plecos. :D

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i am aware with the L134 that the dominant one shows his odontodes.
My L333 males and I have 2 show both hairs on fins and tail, but they are in a 5ft tank with lots of caves. cheers jk :thumbup: