Plec not interested in veggies

Bubbly50

Jul 27, 2013
Co.durham
Hi everyone, had my sail fin plec for four months now and he's doing great. He's about seven inches and I feed him algae wafers and he has pieces if bog wood in the tank. I have tried putting cucumber, peas, broccoli in the tank and he's just not interested. Is this normal.
:D

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, he may not recognize the veggies as food. Since he is familar with wafers, you can break one in half, stick it in a piece of zucchini , and sink it. Then as he goes for his wafer , he will get a taste of the veggie and realize it is food. You may have to repeat a few nights, new piece of zucc and wafer, my L128's learned after a few nights . Once he starts eating one veggie, you can repeat for each new kind you try . It works ! good luck and let us know how it goes :yes:

Bubbly50

Jul 27, 2013
Co.durham
No joy

Hi there
Thanks for the reply, am on the fourth night now and still no joy with my plecs eating veggies. I am putting the algae wafers in the veggies as suggested but they just don't seem interested. They eat the wafers and leave the veg. Should I keep persevering?

Thanks
Bubbly.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
rub the veg in garlic and leave out the wafer for 3days and just add the veg. should work. cheers jk :thumbup: PS do not give up

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
For cucumber leave it raw. Its soft enough on its own. As it is cucumber will only last a relatively short time before it starts to fall apart. Blanching it will just speed up the break up.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Maybe he doesn't like cucumber or the particular variety? My plecos only seem to like the long skinny ones. You could also try sweet potato or pumpkin. Blanched if you want to sook them up or raw so they have to work on it to get a feed.

Bubbly50

Jul 27, 2013
Co.durham
Eating veggies

Hi everyone
SUCCESS! Have tried courgettes and peas and my boys are eating them...so pleased, gonna try other veggies from the veggie list...thanks everyone.:clap: